From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@xxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Blaicher, Chris
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2010 8:28 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: SORTWK files

There are overheads associated with sorting that get written to SORTWK.
They vary by sort (DFSORT/SYNCSORT/CASORT) and by type (Variable/fixed
length records) and by size and by key size and type, so it is difficult
to say input filesize + 10% or 20% or more.

The sort products, at least SyncSort, are far better at sizing the
SORTWK files than you can be. I know it sometimes looks like they
over-allocate, but sometimes that is because a SORTWK file they have
allocated gets put on a device with poor performance and so they try
another allocation to see if it is any better.

Now, if you insist upon allocating them yourself, a first cut is at
least 3 SORTWKS and the total size should be input filesize + 30%. I
would also put a 10% secondary allocation size, for example
SPACE=(CYL,(100,10)).

YMMV due to all the variables mentioned at the top.

Chris Blaicher
Phone: 512-340-6154
Mobile: 512-627-3803