when to use CICS

Not sure if this is a CICS q but since the CICS group seems to be
poorly frequented, I thought I'd post this here...

Let's say I have a situation.

I am developing a web frontend app that is inquiry only. The data I
need to display is in DB2 tables on a z/OS box.

The way I see it I have a choice.

I can code JDBC calls in my app (for purposes of simplicity let us mix
up presentation and data access into the same program for now) to go
directly against the DB2 tables.

OR

I don't know exactly what the benefits of bringing CICS into the
equation but I have been told that it is better to go thru CICS to get
to DB2 than direct calls to the database.
So, being an ex COBOL programmer, I can write some trivial CICS
transactions to dump the required data on the screen using SEND TEXT
(no need to format, I can do that in my Java app) and then use the
HTTP server built into CICS to invoke these trans, retrieve the data
into my Java app and display formatted as HTML.

is there any reason not to go with direct ODBC calls?

  • Re: Sub Capacity Reporting for non IBM Vendors
    ... The ones for CICS, DB2, and MQ are run though SCRT every month ... SMF89.1 records contain resource usage information. ... If you have received this electronic mail message in error, ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • load modules for CICS, IMS, DB2 and TSO
    ... Rather than posting the same thing to the CICS, IMS and DB2 lists I'm ... libraries for all of my Cobol compiles (batch, batch with IMS, batch ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: working storage values
    ... a competent COBOL programmer SHOULD be able to see from ... various calls made by the program, how it interfaces with CICS. ... But the Command Level ... The Macro-level interface is no longer supported. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: COBOL/DB2 Date edit question
    ... key and in particular, three of the others are DB2 datatypes DATE, ... I populate the CICS screen from this table, ... into the table - typical CICS scenario. ... data types before update occurs. ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)
  • Re: load modules for CICS, IMS, DB2 and TSO
    ... DFHEI1 (CICS) and CBLTDLI/AIBTDLI linkage? ... I am able to use CAF even without specifying the ATTACHDB2 ... libraries for all of my Cobol compiles (batch, batch with IMS, batch ... with DB2, batch with IMS and DB2, CICS, CICS with IMS, CICS with DB2, ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)