RE: Cost of tools (was: Migrating from OPS/MVS to AF/OPERATOR)

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
[mailto:IBM-MAIN@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dave Salt
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 3:49 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Cost of tools (was: Migrating from OPS/MVS to
AF/OPERATOR)

<snip>

competitiors, but they're
using far less effort to accomplish it. The value of a happy
and content
work-force is difficult to measure in a monetary sense, but
should not be
underestimated.

I don't disagree with the above, personally. But around here if it
cannot be shown to actually save "hard" dollars, it is unlikely to be
"bought into" by management.

Example: Due to license upgrade fees, we replaced Compuware's Xpeditor
and AbendAid with CA's Intertest and Symdump. Hard dollar cost is down.
Programmer productivity is also down. The "hard dollars" trumped
productivity. The, now ex-, manager who made this decision basically
said that if the programmers wanted something other than the CA
products, they could either take a pay cut equivalent to the cost
difference or tell him who to fire to make up the cost difference.
Current management (big shake up soon after all this) may be more open.
Or not. I don't really know yet.

<snip>

Dave Salt
SimpList(tm) - The easiest, most powerful way to surf a mainframe!
http://www.mackinney.com/products/SIM/simplist.htm

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its
content is protected by law. If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission, or taking any action
based on it, is strictly prohibited.

send email to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxx with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

  • Re: Other JSF options
    ... I have seen nothing from the ANG side ... That cost boost would be at most the five or six percent that we would lose ... February for the FY 07 budget, which indicates the HV-22 is still ...
    (rec.aviation.military)
  • Re: Other JSF options
    ... I have seen nothing from the ANG side ... That cost boost would be at most the five or six percent that we would ... February for the FY 07 budget, which indicates the HV-22 is still ...
    (rec.aviation.military)
  • Re: The future of academic publishing
    ... property owners pay for fire service. ... then they pay the full cost of repair. ...
    (comp.dsp)
  • Re: Art, wheres the buzz on nanotech saving America today?
    ... Compared with about $1/W for a liquid-fuelled IC engine generator. ... Which will cost $X/W, _additional_, in costs for fuel, maintenance, and _permanent_ loss in non-renewable resources. ... My brother's setup was also fixed and he knew he was not getting 100% out of the installation. ...
    (sci.research.careers)
  • Re: Machine shop estimating help, please?
    ... I'd appreciate a value check from someone who knows what it might cost ... customer of hers who is a contractor with a problem. ... Volume will be a consideration for both the machining and stock ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)