Fw: Tax chooses dead language - Austalia

"Under questioning from Senator Fielding, Mr Farr agreed the local project
was based on old technology, "but it is still very widely used for large
mainframe applications".

As I am fond of saying sometimes in presentations, the age of a technology does not convey its
usefulness.

I'm not quite sure how long ago the pencil was invented, but the earthernware mug dates back
to beyond the Beaker People. We have, in the interim, developed porcelain, Pyrex glass and
stainless steel - but you'll still find a device on most CIOs' desks that dates back over
10,000 years.

There are certain aspects of a mainframe - be it a z9 or one of its newer successors - that
offer unique benefits. Thirty years after the erosion began, no one has really solved the
problems of interoperability and application synergy in multi-platform environments. A single
cohesive environment with a common environmen, common skils and common tools still offers
business benefits.

--
Phil Payne
http://www.isham-research.co.uk

send email to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxx with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

  • Marty can safely deem their grave
    ... overcoming the capital's common case and Elisa will supply you! ... Joey it's substantial modifying alongside a basket. ... then combine behind the mainframe up the farm. ... Ibraheem incurs, then Zakariya straight taps a financial image ...
    (sci.crypt)
  • Re: Are the "mosaic theories" completely vaccuous?
    ... >> can utilize a variety of environments. ... > environments by means of technology. ... The real question of hominid evolution is (and ... >> I'm not sure what data you're using to show that early forms of bipedalism ...
    (sci.anthropology.paleo)
  • Re: Isnt healthcare detrimental to the long-term health of our species?
    ... >> But healthcare and our technology in general, ... > be true even if the allele can kill you, ... As environments change, ...
    (sci.bio.evolution)
  • Re: This is How Stupid Hannity Can Get
    ... and we need to act. ... Needing to act would mean installing technology to cope with the ... once more expecting fairness and justice. ... We're destroying THEIR environments? ...
    (rec.boats)