Blu-ray take-up faster than DVD
- From: "Robo-man" <duffy12@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 12:19:04 -0400
Singulus says Blu-ray take-up faster than DVD
Mon Jun 9, 2008 3:05am EDT
FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Singulus received orders for 21 Blu-ray dual-layer
machines in the first quarter and said on Monday the figure showed the new
technology was being adopted faster than its predecessor, DVD, 11 years ago.
"This means that the orders for Blu-ray in the first year of the dual layer
technology already by far exceeded the volume at the start of the DVD eleven
years ago with 17 machines," Chief Financial Officer Stefan Baustert said.
The German optical disc equipment maker added in a statement that it had
received additional orders for Blu-ray dual-layer machines this quarter and
said a key U.S. customer had accepted one of the machines for the first
The adoption of Blu-ray was for years held up by a format war with rival
technology HD-DVD, but a decision by Hollywood studio Warner Bros. early
this year to support Blu-ray exclusively effectively decided the issue.
(Reporting by Georgina Prodhan) Reuters 2008 All rights reserved
- Prev by Date: Re: Mac vs PC???
- Next by Date: Re: Mac vs PC???
- Previous by thread: KQEK.com DVD Reviews: The Big Trail, Cimarron, Painted Desert
- Next by thread: video converter which utilitizes multi CPU's?