Re: why 2.35:1 ?

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 12:30:50 -0500, def456 wrote:

But the people in the picture are too small. I have a 25" TV with 4:3 aspect
ratio.

As someone who used to watch 2.35:1 films on a 20" 4:3 TV, I have no
sympathy for your position. I'd much rather have the correct image than
one that shows me the incorrect image larger.

They need to do away with 2.35:1 ratio on DVDs, or provide the option to
automatically crop it to 16:9. I don't have much of a problem with 16:9
aspect ratio, which is about 1.8 compared to the standard 1.3.

Every DVD player I had with my 4:3 TV would do this with the first zoom
option on the remote. It was a 1.5x zoom I beleive. Alternatively, you
could set your DVD player to output to a 16:9 set, which would stretch the
image to about 16:9 on a 4:3 TV. Of course, everything would appear
stretched and too thin, but you just want your screen filled, not the
correct image, right? Or, you could combine the two methods and get a
stretched, zoomed 4:3 image of a 2.35:1 film. See how watchable that image
is.

I think Samsung DVD players with the "EZ view" feature actually cycle
through the options I listed when that feature is implimented.

As far as that goes...
Who goes to movie theaters anymore?

Enough people to make the practice still profitable in the long run. You
should be grateful to them, since they're allowing the studios to actually
produce the movies you're eventually watching on video.

-Jay

  • Re: Isotropic Scaling Mode
    ... but with an image aspect ratio of 1.85/1. ... In the "stretch" mode the image is stretched horizontally to fill the screen. ... The "zoom" mode stretches the SD image in all directions to fill the wide ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: Classic Academy Ratio Picture Composition
    ... I have a 16:9 HD set and over the years instead of watching classic 4:3 aspect ratio films have taken advantage of some of the zoom modes on the TV to fill the screen. ... Of course there have always been special-purpose panoramic cameras with wider aspect ratios, but this is quite a minority among the cameras those with a "photography background" would have been using. ...
    (rec.arts.movies.tech)
  • Re: Indiana Jones aspect ratio
    ... Ideally the BBC would have shown all three Indiana Jones films in 16:9 ... which is our standard ratio for showing films. ... night audience and that this audience would prefer a full-frame image ...
    (uk.tech.broadcast)
  • Re: Frame sizes Vegas
    ... Problem is a DSLR time lapse in 2:3 aspect ratio dropped into a 16:9 ... Stretch to fill frame ... If I maintain aspect ratio and stretch to fill frame, it shows huge black bars on the sides and zoomin in works but those black bars never go away. ... The even pan/crop shows a portrait oriented crop tool. ...
    (rec.video.desktop)
  • Re: Frame sizes Vegas [solved]
    ... Problem is a DSLR time lapse in 2:3 aspect ratio dropped into a 16:9 ... Stretch to fill frame ... black bars on the sides and zoomin in works but those black bars never ...
    (rec.video.desktop)