New to DVD Recorders -- which one?

I've decided I need a DVD recorder. My primary purpose is to make a
DVD copy of programs recorded on a Dish Network DVR. Secondarily, I
want to make DVD copies of VHS and SVHS tapes. I prefer using S-Video
inputs and output. So I think I need two S-Video inputs and one
output, plus stereo audio signals. I'd also like a tunable RF input in
case I decide to use it from the DVR remote location, which requires
using channel 60. However, RF input is not mandatory.

I would like the video and audio quality to be as good as the original

I also would like to use the unit as a normal DVD player. Do all DVD
recorders also work as players?

I'd like to keep the price below $250.

Are there any recorders that seem to be a very good fit to my desires?

Where can I find reliable, comparative reviews?

Relevant Pages

  • Beyond the Office [Guide to DVD Recorders - 07/19/2005]
    ... Guide to DVD Recorders ... you choose should depend upon the type of video you want to capture. ... Set-top DVD recorders have integrated ... External drives usually ...
  • Re: Mounting and using DVD Videos
    ... people who said that they found a 'new DVD' didn't play on their ... DVD player but was fine 'in the shop'. ... But for Video DVD players and recorders the situation is more complex as ...
  • Re: dvd-rw recorders
    ... I still remember when DVD recorders had prices in the 5 digit range. ... BluRay went up in price when Toshiba announced the demise of HD-DVD. ... or might have limited capability to play them. ...
  • Re: VHS tapes and DVDs
    ... The number one priority is just getting the tapes onto DVD, at the best quality I can. ... Check around for other DVD recorders in your area, ... I want to buy both "RW" and "R" discs. ...
  • Re: DVD recorders - replacing HDDs and DVD loaders
    ... Assuming that both devices use standard PC type IDE ... I don't believe I've even seen any current DVD players, ... recorders, which use a standard DVD burner with IDE interface. ... disc previously recorded or won't play some disc types, ...