New to DVD Recorders -- which one?

I've decided I need a DVD recorder. My primary purpose is to make a
DVD copy of programs recorded on a Dish Network DVR. Secondarily, I
want to make DVD copies of VHS and SVHS tapes. I prefer using S-Video
inputs and output. So I think I need two S-Video inputs and one
output, plus stereo audio signals. I'd also like a tunable RF input in
case I decide to use it from the DVR remote location, which requires
using channel 60. However, RF input is not mandatory.

I would like the video and audio quality to be as good as the original
signal.

I also would like to use the unit as a normal DVD player. Do all DVD
recorders also work as players?

I'd like to keep the price below $250.

Are there any recorders that seem to be a very good fit to my desires?

Where can I find reliable, comparative reviews?

Thanks!

Guy

  • Beyond the Office [Guide to DVD Recorders - 07/19/2005]
    ... Guide to DVD Recorders ... you choose should depend upon the type of video you want to capture. ... Set-top DVD recorders have integrated ... External drives usually ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)
  • Re: Mounting and using DVD Videos
    ... people who said that they found a 'new DVD' didn't play on their ... DVD player but was fine 'in the shop'. ... But for Video DVD players and recorders the situation is more complex as ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: dvd-rw recorders
    ... I still remember when DVD recorders had prices in the 5 digit range. ... BluRay went up in price when Toshiba announced the demise of HD-DVD. ... or might have limited capability to play them. ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: VHS tapes and DVDs
    ... The number one priority is just getting the tapes onto DVD, at the best quality I can. ... Check around for other DVD recorders in your area, ... I want to buy both "RW" and "R" discs. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: DVD recorders - replacing HDDs and DVD loaders
    ... Assuming that both devices use standard PC type IDE ... I don't believe I've even seen any current DVD players, ... recorders, which use a standard DVD burner with IDE interface. ... disc previously recorded or won't play some disc types, ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)