Re: SAY NO TO BLURAY

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 03:42:07 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs wrote:

On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 16:41:35 -0500, "Jay G." <Jay@xxxxxxxx> Gave us:

Yeah... I am sure the industry wants to press two libraries.

They're already going to be pressing two libraries, one DVD, and one HD
disc of choice. Hell, some companies already press 3 libraries if you
count UMD, and some will press both HD formats until there's a winner.

I see you're not even going to touch this point.

Also, if dual-format players become the norm, studios won't *have* to press
two formats. They can simply press in the HD format of their choice,
either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, secure in the knowledge that the majority of
people will be able to play either disc in their player, much like DVD-R
and DVD+R discs today.

AGAIN... apples and oranges.

You said it was okay to compare apples and oranges.

The two you mention use the SAME
LASER. HD and BluRay are enough different that such a player will
have a fairly high price attached cost to it. One that won't soon
drop.

CD, DVD, and HD DVD use different lasers, yet the design for players that
can play all three aren't prohibitively expensive.

Besides, HD DVD and Blu-Ray don't use different lasers:
http://www.engadget.com/2005/09/19/blu-ray-vs-hd-dvd-state-of-the-s-union-s-division/
"Both systems use the same kind of 405nm wavelength blue-violet
laser... Since the Blu-ray disc has a tighter track pitch, it can
hold more pits on the same size disc as HD DVD even with a
laser of the same wavelength."

You probably were thinking of the pickup apertures:
"The differing track pitch of the Blu-ray disc makes its pickup apertures
differ, however - 0.65 for HD DVD vs. 0.85 for Blu-ray

The technically difference hasn't stopped some manufacturers from
attempting to develop mult-format players:
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03/06/lg_blu-ray_hd-dvd_plans/

And before you say that making different pickup apertures is prohibitively
expensive, HD DVD players already have 3 different pickup apertures, as
well as 3 different laser wavelengths:
http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/186

Also Blu-Ray has developed one optical device capable of playing back all
three formats of CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray:
http://www.blu-raydisc.com/assets/downloadablefile/4_keytechnologies-12835.pdf

Considering that feat, adding in HD DVD, which uses the same wavelength,
may not be too difficult.

-Jay

  • Re: Picture Tube Hazards
    ... laser at worst, use a cleaning disc with little brushes on it ... ... wouldn't the DVD player use the rotational speed for a CD? ... They have two flavours of dealer, normal, and DSN, which I think ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Starting to think about HD
    ... summarize the current state of affairs regarding HD DVD and Blu-ray ... "at-home" disc burning. ... although what's nice about the PS3 is the periodic firmware ...
    (rec.video.production)
  • Re: Toshiba TV/DVD-DVD Trials and Tribulations
    ... disc, and played the first title; ... I think this rules out heat as the primary culprit, and also the laser ... exactly right for this DVD unit, although the disc plays fine in other ... hand, playing a CD ok, but not a DVD, is usually a sure pointer to the laser ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)
  • Re: Picture Tube Hazards
    ... laser at worst, use a cleaning disc with little brushes on it ... ... the DVD player use the rotational speed for a CD? ... Firstly, most DVD players assume a DVD first, so ...
    (sci.electronics.repair)