Re: Telecon vs. telecom

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 01:25:46 +0000 (UTC), Snidely <snidely.too@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

"Peter Duncanson (BrE)" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> scribbled something
like ...

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 22:50:59 +0000, Mike Lyle
<mike_lyle_uk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Perhaps understandably confused by an Anglophone speech habit I'm
always grumbling about: the one which has spawned references to the
"H5M1" virus etc. (Not only English, of course; and of ancient
pedigree.)

Is your objection to "virus" in "H5N1 virus"? I think the use is
legitimate.

No, I don't think that is his objection. Read his post out loud,
perhaps.

The characters "H5N1" are descriptive, adjectival. They refer to
characteristics of the outside of the virus by which it is recognised
both in nature by a cell and experimentally in a lab.

Yes, but read his post out loud.

I seem to have been whooshed!

--
Peter Duncanson, UK