Re: Telecon vs. telecom

On Thu, 2 Feb 2012 01:25:46 +0000 (UTC), Snidely <snidely.too@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

"Peter Duncanson (BrE)" <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> scribbled something
like ...

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 22:50:59 +0000, Mike Lyle
<mike_lyle_uk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Perhaps understandably confused by an Anglophone speech habit I'm
always grumbling about: the one which has spawned references to the
"H5M1" virus etc. (Not only English, of course; and of ancient
pedigree.)

Is your objection to "virus" in "H5N1 virus"? I think the use is
legitimate.

No, I don't think that is his objection. Read his post out loud,
perhaps.

The characters "H5N1" are descriptive, adjectival. They refer to
characteristics of the outside of the virus by which it is recognised
both in nature by a cell and experimentally in a lab.

Yes, but read his post out loud.

I seem to have been whooshed!

--
Peter Duncanson, UK
(in alt.usage.english)

  • Re: Telecon vs. telecom
    ... "H5M1" virus etc. (Not only English, ... legitimate. ... but read his post out loud. ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: csrrs.exe
    ... to the name of a legitimate, necessary Windows program. ... current virus definitions- if you don't have any, ...
    (microsoft.public.security.virus)
  • Re: critical error pop up
    ... critical errors on your computer please visit www.regfixpc.com to ... Is this a virus and do I go to the address to fix it?? ... trick you into using their software which could be anything from legitimate ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: jdbgmgr.exe
    ... the legitimate jdbgmgr.exe is part of the ... MS JVM distribution. ... release from ms02-013 for a refresh. ... > if jdbgmgr.exe is a virus or a legitimate ms debugger? ...
    (microsoft.public.security)