Re: confused functions of some words

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 08:34:56 -0700 (PDT), Harrison Hill
<harrishill@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Jul 6, 3:43 pm, man is hope <yijae...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Q1. The modified sentence is this: "Eight years after my grandfather
passed away, I still have the drawing of my Korean name hung on my
bedroom wall. My mother had it framed for me, which makes it look like

"makes it look majestic"
or
"almost makes it look majestic"

I guess you don't like "makes it look almost majestic". OTOH, I
think that's okay and closer to what he intended.

almost majestic." What makes me confused is the two words 'have' in 'I
still have the drawing ~' and 'hung' in 'hung on my bedroom wall.'
Some say that the 'have' means 'to own', so 'The drawing just belongs
to me.' On the contrary, others say that 'have' is a causative verb,
so that 'I' made the drawing 'hung' on the wall. If 'hung' is used as
an adjective that modifies the drawing, why not omitting it? - as 'I
have a drawing on my bedroom wall.'

"Have it" here means "have positioned it" or "put it" on my bedroom
wall, and doesn't refer to ownership.

I don't know about that. Let's just make it "have it on my wall".
That means I'm in possession of it. "Have it hung on my bedroom
wall" seems to me to mean "I'm in posession of it, and I or someone
else posiitioed it on the wall" In this case, I think he was a
chilld when someone else did it, but at some point, the drawing is no
longer in his mother's posession but in his. Maybe when a child is
4, he totally posesses nothing, because he can't be trusted not to
ruin it, but by the time he's 14, everything his parents gave him
except his bank account are in the child's possession, I think.

I am not a native speaker, so I want anyone to help me to understand
the difference between these two opinions and to make its meaning
clear.

Ast to causative, that refers to somerthing like: Have the car the
fixed; Have the grass mowed, Have the dishes washed. And "Have
the drawing hung on your wall." But if I understand t he story, the
OP was a child and his mother did this, and not under his direction..
The child dind't cause it to be done. He didn't say to his mother,
"Have this hung on the wall."

So of the two choices the OP givesw, it's "own" but own is too strong.
It's really about possession. As in "I have your cell phone.".

"I have a cell phone" doesnt' for sure say who owns it, but most often
it is a case where the person who has something is also the one who
owns it.

Q2. The second question is about this sentence: "I can almost see him
in the corner, hunched over, listening to his radio and swishing his
brush over the rice paper." I don't understand, at my first sight,
'hunched over,' and the modifier asserts that the phrasal verb is used
as a transitive verb and functioned as an adjective that describes how
he was, like 'tired'. In my opinion, the words such as hunched over,
listening, and swishing all modify him as attendant circumstances
about him. So 'hunched over' should be changed into 'hunching over.'
Am I wrong?

"Hunching over" would do every bit as well, but "hunched over" is
correct.

"Hunched over" is probably more common than hunching. For the verb
hunch. Maybe because old people are sometimes hunched over all the
time, if their back won't straighten.

Googling around, I found the original sentences:
[1] I still have the drawing of my Korean name. My mother had it
framed for me, and it hangs in my room right now.
[2] I can almost see him in the corner, hunched over, listening to his
radio and fanning himself. I can see him swishing his brush over the
rice paper, and then pointing to me, telling me my own name.

  • Re: confused functions of some words
    ... I still have the drawing of my Korean name hung on my ... still have the drawing ~' and 'hung' in 'hung on my bedroom wall.' ... so that 'I' made the drawing 'hung' on the wall. ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: confused functions of some words
    ... I still have the drawing of my Korean name hung on my ... still have the drawing ~' and 'hung' in 'hung on my bedroom wall.' ... In this context no special meaning attaches to the auxiliary verb "hang." ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Yes, but is it art?
    ... it falls down where the stations are on more than one line.. ... I still don't see a) why anyone would want either of them hung on the ... I wouldn't want the second one hung on the wall, ... That's what your newsreader does. ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Yes, but is it art?
    ... it falls down where the stations are on more than one line. ... I still don't see a) why anyone would want either of them hung on the ... I wouldn't want the second one hung on the wall, ... That's what your newsreader does. ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Resizing shapes distorts
    ... change the scale, or you could copy the drawing and paste it as a metafile, ... at which point you can resize it to your heart's content. ... When using the wall shape template, i have a problem when resizing the ... Just resize each wall shape individually. ...
    (microsoft.public.visio.troubleshoot)