Re: Lee: I should think so (AmE)

On Oct 15, 12:50 am, rwalker <rwal...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 20:18:15 +0100, Ian Noble

<ipno...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"I would think so" means "I expect that that is the case".

"I should think so" (often as an exclamation) means "That's hardly
surprising", or "Of course that's true".

In this case, I believe that Lee is using "should" in the manner
familiar to me - "Of course she's gettin' fat. She eats all the
leftover fingers and ears from the hospital".

Cheers - Ian
(BrE: Yorks., Hants.)

I agree with your interpretation.

Rob (Am. E.)

How about using, in 1935, in AmE, "shall" in the first person, in what
to me is clear futurity?
---
[Atticus, a lawyer, speaking]

“Gentlemen,” he was saying, “I shall be brief, but I would like to use
my remaining time with you to remind you that this case is not a
difficult one, it requires no minute sifting of complicated facts, but
it does require you to be sure beyond all reasonable doubt as to the
guilt of the defendant.
---

Thanks.
Marius Hancu

  • Re: Lee: I should think so (AmE)
    ... familiar to me - "Of course she's gettin' fat. ... She eats all the ... leftover fingers and ears from the hospital". ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Low Salt Cookbook
    ... He smokes, drinks wine, and eats pretty much what he wants. ... in bacon fat or sausage grease. ... seemed to spend way too much time travelling and living in hotels and guesthouses, I have always had meals prepared from fresh ingredients and have never added salt during cooking or at the table. ...
    (rec.food.cooking)
  • Re: Dr Who?
    ... I have at least one over weight friend who eats as a punishment. ... It's a conditioned response and has taken her over 40 years to get anywhere NEAR getting a handle on it, despite many strong efforts and much exercise. ... *SHE* knows what the problem is, she knows on an intelectual level what to do about it, but geting over the 'you are a short fat nobody not worth bothering with as everyone is going to overlook you ANYWAY' hurdle is a MUCH bigger step than anyone outside her head will ever know. ...
    (uk.rec.sheds)
  • Re: OT: Help from pet owners
    ... Sandy, I used to work with a man who had a bassett hound. ... hound's ears up with a clothes pin while he was eating and drinking to keep ... >> Ruffles takes her food out of the feeder, to the floor, then eats it. ...
    (rec.crafts.textiles.quilting)
  • Re: its not butter- fats & heart disease
    ... eats very much. ... "fat", so he decided to eliminate it. ... If his health problems are genetic (from what you've said, ... changes will help some people quite a bit in preventing heart attack. ...
    (rec.food.cooking)