Re: Kruzitürcken!

Isabelle Cecchini <isabelle.cecchini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

J. J. Lodder a écrit :

[about Dr Müller, a villain and Tintin's enemy]

Müller is indeed a German?
He might with that name also be of Alsatian origin,
and a native speaker of French.
(like for example le general Schneider)
[...]

You're right. There's actually not one clue in /L'Ile noire/ about
Müller's nationality or national origin. Hergé makes him speak
absolutely standard French, with no hint whatsoever of any
German-sounding expression.

Let's say that Hergé was a lot cleverer than his translators.
(or his English readers)
He had no need for cheap gimmicks,
like having Müller shout 'Donnerwetter!'
or some other obviuosly German curse.

It was the British translators' choice to pepper his speech, in English,
with "Ja', "Ach", "Himmel", and, of course, "Kruzitür(c)ken".

He may even have been a Belgian,
from the officially German speaking part of Belgium perhaps.
Note that <www.familienaam.be> gives 1200+ hits on Müller,
mostly from where you woud expect,
but also heavily from the Antwerp region.

Note also that the original edition is quoted to 1936,
but I have never seen it.
Both the French edition and the English edition I have seen
date to 1966, and have obviously been updated very much,
by adapting the decor, planes, cars, etc..

The result is an amusing anachronism,
wth some details obviously thirty-ish,
some modernised to the sixties.
I have no idea whether or not an English version
of the original edition exists,
and what le docteur Müller may have said in it,

Jan

PS I did look up the good Dr Müller is French and English.
He says 'Malediction !' often, it seems to be his stop word,
but only once is it translated to 'Kruziturcken!'
as far as I saw at first glance.
The other translations of'Malediction !'
are more standard. (as you no doubt know)
.