Re: Kruzitürcken!

Isabelle Cecchini <isabelle.cecchini@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

J. J. Lodder a écrit :

[about Dr Müller, a villain and Tintin's enemy]

Müller is indeed a German?
He might with that name also be of Alsatian origin,
and a native speaker of French.
(like for example le general Schneider)
[...]

You're right. There's actually not one clue in /L'Ile noire/ about
Müller's nationality or national origin. Hergé makes him speak
absolutely standard French, with no hint whatsoever of any
German-sounding expression.

Let's say that Hergé was a lot cleverer than his translators.
(or his English readers)
He had no need for cheap gimmicks,
like having Müller shout 'Donnerwetter!'
or some other obviuosly German curse.

It was the British translators' choice to pepper his speech, in English,
with "Ja', "Ach", "Himmel", and, of course, "Kruzitür(c)ken".

He may even have been a Belgian,
from the officially German speaking part of Belgium perhaps.
Note that <www.familienaam.be> gives 1200+ hits on Müller,
mostly from where you woud expect,
but also heavily from the Antwerp region.

Note also that the original edition is quoted to 1936,
but I have never seen it.
Both the French edition and the English edition I have seen
date to 1966, and have obviously been updated very much,
by adapting the decor, planes, cars, etc..

The result is an amusing anachronism,
wth some details obviously thirty-ish,
some modernised to the sixties.
I have no idea whether or not an English version
of the original edition exists,
and what le docteur Müller may have said in it,

Jan

PS I did look up the good Dr Müller is French and English.
He says 'Malediction !' often, it seems to be his stop word,
but only once is it translated to 'Kruziturcken!'
as far as I saw at first glance.
The other translations of'Malediction !'
are more standard. (as you no doubt know)

  • Re: Paging the German speakers
    ... My knowledge of French is, ... English that is actually funny. ... the translators have sought completely different jokes. ... some of the English puns are superb. ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)
  • Re: Suggestions for 11-hr Paris stopover?
    ... With the exception of ONE CONTRIBUTOR, I would like to say thanks to ... comments about not speaking French etc....there are incredible little ... hand held translators, which are programmed with many languages: ... Spanish to Greek, English to German. ...
    (rec.travel.europe)
  • state of the marketing in translation
    ... I would like to know if there is a demand for translators of literary ... works from French into English and how i can be gainfully employed, ... I can prove my ability and the work will also improve my ...
    (sci.lang.translation.marketplace)
  • Re: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kruzit=FCrcken!?=
    ... Asterix in French, English and German and am always amazed at how cleverly the translators got the ideas across, even though they often used a different play on words. ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • We need Language Exchange Partners, we can teach you French
    ... We can teach you French in exchange. ... Dalesa Dalima, 24 years old, France ... I want to learn: English ... Je suis une fille très dynamique, ...
    (soc.culture.quebec)