Re: Fings we was lernt rong in skool

In article <47932e14$0$23601$426a74cc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, lanarcam1
@yahoo.fr had it:

This is a problem for us foreigners, how do you
translate "On doit" or "Man soll" in English?
I have the feeling that "One should" is not
the exact translation.

This depends on the situation. In UK English, it will sometimes come
out as "Please", although this doesn't work so well in US English
(e.g. "Please do not lean out of the window" becomes "It is an
offence under Federal law to lean out of the window".)

In other cases, "You must" is often the most suitable.

--
David

  • Re: Fings we was lernt rong in skool
    ... I have the feeling that "One should" is not ... the exact translation. ... But I do apologise for my gibberish. ... I can see how it might have appeared to be an ill-mannered comment on your English. ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Who here is capable of a rational discussion of Chi?
    ... just english. ... relaxed, whole body connectedness to express structure actively, ... it ends up feeling, what precisely is being felt (i feel, weight ... chi, it is a real feeling, and everyone who feels it feels the exact ...
    (rec.martial-arts)
  • Re: Yiddish/ Hebrew help - please
    ... like the notion of sharing in and feeling someone else's happiness. ... to burst with pride, but not pride itself. ... is to experience joy for another person's joy. ... isn't an English equivalent. ...
    (soc.culture.jewish.moderated)
  • Re: math class from Hell (aka Bantys nightmare)
    ... feeling that they don't have to *learn math.* While your feelings ... It demeans the kids -- and we are talking about ... How much of an influence do you think one 38 year old nerdy ... English and one of my kids said, ...
    (misc.kids)
  • Re: "feeling I was indeed getting back in the game"
    ... But one spring day a couple of years ago, feeling I was indeed getting ... back in the game, it occurred to me that without further stressing my ... English. ... someone with a better theoretical grasp of the language than I have to ...
    (alt.usage.english)