Re: Dee Mills, of Surrey, United Kingdom - Follow Up

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 10:17:34 -0600, "Django Cat" <> wrote:

Well, BMS on the comments page at

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/orlando-sentinel/T20715B0INB7N7AUU
http://tinyurl.com/2d6fp8

describes Ms Mills as "someone whose country has No [sic] oral hygiene" so I suppose this is a
popular belief amongst Floridians, or maybe just readers of the Orlando Sentinel, or maybe just
readers of Mike Thomas' column. Weird. I mean there is an element of truth in the gibe that lots
of Americans are a tad... big-boned{1}. But all Brits have bad teeth? What's that based on?

The belief is not at all linked to Floridians or readers of the
_Orlando Sentinel_. It's rather universal in the US.

I suspect it's based on movies and television. The first thing
budding American actors do when they go to Hollywood is have a full
set of caps or whatever it is that is done to make teeth look perfect.
British actors don't seem to feel that a brilliant, perfect smile is
necessary.

I doubt if many of the Americans who joke about British bad teeth are
basing their belief on personal observation of Brits other than the
Brits they see on a movie or television screen.

It's a rather similar misconception to the Brits who believe that all
Americans either live in mansions or hovels based on what they see in
movies and television.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

  • Re: Dee Mills, of Surrey, United Kingdom - Follow Up
    ... readers of Mike Thomas' column. ... But all Brits have bad teeth? ... I doubt if many of the Americans who joke about British bad teeth are ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Oil Money
    ... amount of language that American readers probably won't be ... Brits and Irish should write in their own voice for Yank ... Speaking of Oil Money... ...
    (misc.writing)
  • Re: Images of Myal
    ... Tamper proof wrote: ... why the americans are still supporting Iraq ... to the readers to figure out which in that group is him, ...
    (misc.survivalism)
  • Re: Cruise ship on the seas of time
    ... less fond of armed citizens. ... Americans are the majority of SF readers, so if a writer wants his ...
    (rec.arts.sf.written)
  • Re: toff+tuft
    ... > visiting professor at Oxford. ... > One of the functions of aue is for Americans to inform the UK readers ... > about our usage, and the UK readers to inform the Americans about ...
    (sci.lang)