Re: Where were you, Sputnik's first orbit..

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 19:48:00 -0700, que.sara.saraDELETE@xxxxxxxxx (Sara
Lorimer) wrote:

Steve Hayes <hayesmstw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:09:41 +0100, Peter Duncanson <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:32:51 +0200, Steve Hayes <hayesmstw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Away in a manger
no cot for a bed

In the UK I've only ever heard or read "no crib for a bed".

It's those damned Americans. They've even hijacked the Christmas carols.

And you should hear the tune we sing it to!

Actually I think it's nicer than the Brit one, which sounds a little
equestrian.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com

  • Re: Where were you, Sputniks first orbit..
    ... no cot for a bed ... In the UK I've only ever heard or read "no crib for a bed". ... It's those damned Americans. ... or parse: shayes at dunelm full stop org full stop uk ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Where were you, Sputniks first orbit..
    ... no cot for a bed ... In the UK I've only ever heard or read "no crib for a bed". ... That's teh way I learned it, and that's how it was in our ... It's those damned Americans. ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Where were you, Sputniks first orbit..
    ... no cot for a bed ... In the UK I've only ever heard or read "no crib for a bed". ... It's those damned Americans. ... "Equestrian" would seem almost appropriate. ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Harry probably is a Horcrux, yknow!
    ... I don't know if I'm the right to answer that question, but my impression was that they are essentially the same, though possibly with 'crib' being used for slightly smaller children. ... I thought crib was synonymous with cradle, but it seems to be more like a cot. ... informal, chiefly N. Amer. ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)
  • Re: Harry probably is a Horcrux, yknow!
    ... > the impression that a 'crib' was a 'cot' ... like a cot. ... Taking fun ... and earnestness ...
    (alt.fan.harry-potter)