Re: weekend competition

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 13:52:50 +0100, trio@xxxxxxxxxx (Donna Richoux)
wrote:

jinhyun <jinhyunshyam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi, the competition is to come up with sentences which seem wrong or
unidiomatic in isolation but make sense when fitted into a context.
Here's an example -- not a great one, but it illustrates my meaning.
Sentence:"The parents locked her daughter up for the weekend"
Context:
Emily is hopping mad at Aunt Fannie for what happened to her
daughter,
Rita (all of six years old) at her place. Apparently, Emily had left
Rita at Aunt Fannie's
where some kids were having a party. But the parents were there too.
Apparently, Rita acted up and -- guess what! The parents locked her
daughter up for the weekend. Apparently, in the upstairs bedroom. [It
had an attached bathroom and meals can be served by a dumbwaiter] Who
gave them the right?!

It'll be interesting as well as challenging. Good luck to you all!

I know what's not idiomatic -- nobody's been called "Aunt Fanny" in a
hundred, maybe 150 years.

Is that called as in "given the name", or "known as"? I had an Auntie
Fanny until sometime in the 70s. She was actually a great aunt.

Oddly - at least it seems odd to me - she was christened Fanny, and her
brother was christened Frank.

For the original question, we get these posted by non-native speakers in
a "can I say?" context every day.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)
My Reply-To address *is* valid, though likely to die soon

  • Re: The Return of COWFOG? / Re: New Years Resolutions
    ... Clearly a greater proportion of people than ever are going onto University, but arguably, some of the courses they are doing are replacements for intensive on-the-job training that their technician parents would have received, or they are being recruited into graduate professions, such as my own, which thirty or forty years ago required A-Levels but not degrees. ... More than a passing reference to the great man. ... understanding of Wagner's Ring Cycle ' by JS Bolen. ... All swear words have to be understood in context. ...
    (rec.music.opera)
  • Re: That was Then
    ... when she described the unsupervised, and "free" kids of long ago, who ... past what you - and Nantz and Rita are describing. ... was accosted and followd by a man, on my way home from school (grade ... common in those days - and certainly those parents did not think it was ...
    (soc.senior.issues)
  • Re: weekend competition
    ... unidiomatic in isolation but make sense when fitted into a context. ... Sentence:"The parents locked her daughter up for the weekend" ... Emily is hopping mad at Aunt Fannie for what happened to her ... Rita at her place. ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: weekend competition
    ... unidiomatic in isolation but make sense when fitted into a context. ... Sentence:"The parents locked her daughter up for the weekend" ... Rita at her place. ... locking up an unrelated six-year-old in a strange room in a strange ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Yale Guen Mar, you were not welcome at the funerals of your aunt, uncle and even of your own parents
    ... Yale Guen Mar, you have continued to hate your parents, uncle and aunt long after they were dead. ... Cousin Yue Chung mar is an achiever while Yale Guen Mar has been a dismal failure right from his early boyhood. ...
    (soc.culture.china)