Re: weekend competition

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 13:52:50 +0100, trio@xxxxxxxxxx (Donna Richoux)
wrote:

jinhyun <jinhyunshyam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi, the competition is to come up with sentences which seem wrong or
unidiomatic in isolation but make sense when fitted into a context.
Here's an example -- not a great one, but it illustrates my meaning.
Sentence:"The parents locked her daughter up for the weekend"
Context:
Emily is hopping mad at Aunt Fannie for what happened to her
daughter,
Rita (all of six years old) at her place. Apparently, Emily had left
Rita at Aunt Fannie's
where some kids were having a party. But the parents were there too.
Apparently, Rita acted up and -- guess what! The parents locked her
daughter up for the weekend. Apparently, in the upstairs bedroom. [It
had an attached bathroom and meals can be served by a dumbwaiter] Who
gave them the right?!

It'll be interesting as well as challenging. Good luck to you all!

I know what's not idiomatic -- nobody's been called "Aunt Fanny" in a
hundred, maybe 150 years.

Is that called as in "given the name", or "known as"? I had an Auntie
Fanny until sometime in the 70s. She was actually a great aunt.

Oddly - at least it seems odd to me - she was christened Fanny, and her
brother was christened Frank.

For the original question, we get these posted by non-native speakers in
a "can I say?" context every day.
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)
My Reply-To address *is* valid, though likely to die soon
.