Re: Opposite of overtime

On 04 Aug 2006, Arcadian Rises wrote

John Dean wrote:
Robert Kaun wrote:
Hello,

I'm looking for the word that describes the opposite of
'overtime' (i.e. an employee works less than the normal
number of hours).

Is there an expression that combines the two cases
(something like 'working time deviation')?

Known in the UK as "short time" or "short time working"
--

Part time?

No, that's different to "short time". "Part time" is a contracted
period which is shorter than a standard working week, whilst "short
time" is less than the amount of time that's been contracted for.

You could be working "part time" and still be doing "short time".

--
Cheers, Harvey

Canadian and British English, indiscriminately mixed
For e-mail, change harvey.news to harvey.van

  • Re: Opposite of overtime
    ... I'm looking for the word that describes the opposite of 'overtime' ... (i.e. an employee works less than the normal number of hours). ... 'working time deviation')? ... By combining the two cases I presume you mean sometimes less than standard ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Opposite of overtime
    ... I'm looking for the word that describes the opposite of 'overtime' ... (i.e. an employee works less than the normal number of hours). ... 'working time deviation')? ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Opposite of overtime
    ... I'm looking for the word that describes the opposite of 'overtime' ... (i.e. an employee works less than the normal number of hours). ... 'working time deviation')? ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Opposite of overtime
    ... Robert Kaun wrote: ... I'm looking for the word that describes the opposite of 'overtime' ... (i.e. an employee works less than the normal number of hours). ...
    (alt.usage.english)