Re: What's a love chair

Stephen Calder <calder9@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

dontbother wrote:

"Arfur Million" <arfur_million@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In a book I read recently, one of the characters sat down in a "love
chair". I am not familiar with this term, and I haven't found a
dictionary (I tried onelook) that has a definition for this. Googling
around, I found a number of furniture company websites showing love
chairs in a wide variety of shapes and forms so that didn't help
much, although it did indicate that the term is known. As may be
expected, XXX sites also have their ideas of what a love chair could
be, but this certainly wasn't the context of the book in which two
people were talking to each other in a normal situation. The love
chair was matter-of-factly described as being at the end of the room
(sorry, I can't find the passage now to give the exact quote).

The book is by an American writer, set in a tough and poor area
around Boston, if that helps.

Can aueists shed some light on what a love chair is?

As far as I know, it's called a "loveseat". It's a single piece of
furniture that has an "S"-shaped back. When two people it in it,
they're sitting on open-ended chairs facing in opposite directions
and facing each other. This way they can look at each other without
craning their necks, and they can even kiss without much difficulty.

You can see a hand-woven example at:

a hardwood example at:

and an overstuffed Victorian example (my idea of what a loveseat is)

A more modern upholstered example is available at:

That's not the definition of "love seat" in Webster's (M-W 10th

It says a love seat is simply a sofa for two (where they sit side by
side, but facing the same way).

noun: a double chair, sofa, or settee for two persons

Well, it seems that I've been in error about that for most of my life,
then. I see that Lars makes a distinction between "love chair" and
"loveseat". I never did, nor did anyone I grew up with. It must be a
class thing. We working-class folks were slightly culturally deprived
back in the 1940s and '50s.

I was kind of surprised to see so many two-seater sofas called
"loveseat"s on Google. I do remember seeing many livingroom suites with a
three-seater and two-seater, but the word "loveseat" didn't ring any
bells for me. Either I've forgotten or I never heard the term applied to
one of them. I wouldn't call those two-seaters "loveseats", though. For
me they seem to be tight fits, i.e., uncomfortable and conducive of
argument rather than love.

Franke: EFL teacher and medical editor
Posting from Taiwan. Unmunged email: /at/
It's all in the way you say it, innit?