Opera vs. Operetta vs. Musical Theatre

Is /The Threepenny Opera/ an opera or an operetta, or is it musical theatre?
Why?
Is /The Beggar's Opera/ an opera or an operetta, or is it musical theatre?
Why?

TIA

--
Nat

In most programs used to read and write to Usenet newsgroups, when a person
clicks on "Reply," he is presented with the original message, under which he
can write his reply. Google uses a "Reply" button which, when clicked on,
leads to a blank form. In order to post a reply in the ordinary format used
for Usenet messages, it is necessary to take an extra step, first clicking
on "Show options" and *then* clicking on "Reply."

  • Re: Opera Quiz Non-medical Doctors
    ... Well, it's certainly not an opera, which was the initial clue. ... 'comic operetta' which perhaps betrays the pretension that was being ... Broadway shows, and they are not described as operas or operettas). ... and ambitions of the composer (which in the case of Candide would ...
    (rec.music.opera)
  • Re: Obnoxious NEXT TO NORMAL script "foreword"
    ... operetta is in a strange corner compared to its european equivalent. ... what is arguably a tragic operetta in its original Opera Comique form ... In America, with little or no home-grown grand opera during this time, ... musicals, or approach them apologetically, they will be found wanting. ...
    (rec.arts.theatre.musicals)
  • Re: Weill Bodies xpost
    ... that the musical theatre form wasn't being ... stretched here by an operetta kind of structure. ... Peter Stone's ending for Act I of Titanic - I think the last twenty to ... since the latter genre came well before the former (if you ...
    (rec.music.opera)
  • Singing Operetta
    ... The boundaries between opera and operetta, ... Broadway hit operettas of the first five decades of the 20th century, ... The songs included Song of the Vagabonds, Desert Song, Italian ...
    (rec.music.opera)
  • Re: Wikipedia
    ... Wikipedia itself lists many works by ... is generally called an opera; ... when I get home I'll check my list of the "Operetta Corpus" ... if you're not happy with an entry, ...
    (rec.music.opera)