Re: Wireless plug-and-play

Peter Duncanson filted:

Computing is riddled with things that are named by analogy. For example,
in I will soon "press the Send Now" button to send this message to a
Usenet server. There is no physical button marked "Send Now". I will use
the mouse to click on a button-like image with the text Send Now "on"
it.

Sometimes these metaphors interact in strange ways...who, pre-Windows, would
have put wallpaper on a desktop?...r

  • Re: [fw-wiz] Personal Firewall Day?
    ... > believe their work was a fabulous gem of computing. ... >>This whole monoculture versus operating system analogy continues to ... days of a perimiter are gone. ... at present in defining security and the policies and all that security ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: [fw-wiz] Personal Firewall Day?
    ... But your concept of distributed computing seems to mean "let ... Effective distributing ... Avoiding a monoculture only require a very little ... What bothers me is that it's an *ANALOGY* - we argue by ...
    (Firewall-Wizards)
  • Re: The negative case
    ... Turing it is natural for us to draw an analogy with computing, ... doubt we can make in biology the neat distinction between hardware ...
    (uk.religion.christian)
  • Re: Certified C compilers for safety-critical embedded systems
    ... > analogy with functions in mathematics. ... This is the worst mistake in computing that is made by people who are really ... that programming is not the analogous object. ... programming debates, not just in Ada with respect to functions with in/out ...
    (comp.lang.ada)