Can "However" replace "But" at the beginning of a sentence?

Hi,

I asked if a sentence could start with "But" in a previous post. It
appears most of you think that beginning a sentence with "But" is not
strictly forbidden (double negation here?) but it should be avoided in
formal writings.

Then, a question comes to mind: if I don't begin a sentence with
"But", can I use "However" to get the same effect? I remember quite
some time ago that someone said "however" had the similar meaning as
"but" but it expressed the feeling less strong. Is that true?

David

.