Asterisk. Punctuation. Arrgh.

Do asterisks go before or after the period or other marks at the end of
a sentence*?

*I was pretty sure I had this figured out, but then I started having
second thoughts**.

**The asterisk modifies the word or sentence, while the punctuation
mark just ends it, so I think it should be closer***.

But I could be wrong****!

*****Kill me.

  • Re: Your first pets name must be greater than 6 characters
    ... Did you know that (at least on Linux) you can embed blanks, ... marks, and asterisks in a password? ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Asterisk. Punctuation. Arrgh.
    ... > Do asterisks go before or after the period or other marks at the end of ... asterisks to indicate emphasis is a fairly new procedure, ... And what usually looks best, to me, is putting the punctuation ... Prev by Date: ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Asterisk. Punctuation. Arrgh.
    ... >> Do asterisks go before or after the period or other marks at the end of ... >asterisks to indicate emphasis is a fairly new procedure, ... journals put the superscript footnote numbers at the end of the ... sentence, after all the punctuation. ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Asterisk. Punctuation. Arrgh.
    ... >>> Do asterisks go before or after the period or other marks at the end of ... >>asterisks to indicate emphasis is a fairly new procedure, ... > Stick equivocation, Donna. ... Puzzled -- Donna Richoux ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: Asterisk. Punctuation. Arrgh.
    ... > Do asterisks go before or after the period or other marks at the end of ... Asterisks do not modify a word or sentence; ... historians' journal, places asterisks and footnote indicators ...
    (alt.usage.english)