untypical or atypical?

Am I right in thinking that 'untypical' and 'atypical' mean exactly
the same thing? Which word is preferable nowadays?

I was (probably wrongly) under the impression that there was no such
word as 'untypical'... until yesterday when I heard a BBC news
presenter use it. Referring to my dictionary, I was surprised to find
it listed.

I think 'untypical' sounds more explicit that 'atypical'. However,
'atypical' turns up vastly more Google hits than 'untypical'. Am I
right in thinking that 'untypical' was, at one time, not considered a
word, but it has now been uttered so many times that it has now become
universally acceptable?

If so, I'm glad.

Al

  • Re: untypical or atypical?
    ... Which word is preferable nowadays? ... > presenter use it. ... Referring to my dictionary, ... > I think 'untypical' sounds more explicit that 'atypical'. ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: untypical or atypical?
    ... Which word is preferable nowadays? ... >presenter use it. ... Referring to my dictionary, ... >I think 'untypical' sounds more explicit that 'atypical'. ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: untypical or atypical?
    ... Which word is preferable nowadays? ... > presenter use it. ... Referring to my dictionary, ... > I think 'untypical' sounds more explicit that 'atypical'. ...
    (alt.usage.english)
  • Re: News for the many in Leftism having death wishes for one PJODonovan
    ... referring to ONE particular type of cruise, and only from the impression ... given by their TV ads. ...
    (rec.travel.europe)
  • Re: LINT broken due to ipfilter
    ... well the impression I got from reading the Makfile was that it'd ... > Is sledge.freebsd.org the build box you're referring to here? ...
    (freebsd-current)