Re: Licence fee?

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 09:41:50 -0600, Doug Smith <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I don't know if you are aware that we have two digital mediums
here:FreeVIEW(terrestrial aerials etc)and FreeSAT which is obviously a
satellite medium(which includes at least 3 HD stations).

FreeVIEW is a one off payment for the receiver(only about £20).

FreeSAT is a one off satellite installion.For an HD capable installation
it will cost about £250 inclusive.

One still has to pay the annual license fee for television reception
though.

Over-the-air digital (pretty much the same technology as FreeVIEW) has
operated here for nearly ten years now, and has supported high definition
from the beginning. Most major stations (including the aforementioned
PBS) offer at least one channel of high definition.

The cost of a digital receiver for use with an existing analog TV is
roughly US$65 - I guess that's around £30? (including local sales taxes)
In theory one can get a $40 subsidy from the government to greatly reduce
the cost of that receiver, but there are some problems in the program.

It's not a theory, I bought two digital tuners with my government
coupons. The main problem with the program, which is meant for owners
of older TVs which are not capable of receiving digital signals, is
that the government failed to set aside enough money to meet demand
for the coupons.
--
Cause, really, nothing says "I'm a counter culture
rebel, fighting the establishment" like an Aibo on

Roberto Castillo
robertocastillo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://mind-grapes.blogspot.com/
http://zombie-gulch.myminicity.com/

  • Re: Receivers (therefore OT) that do and do not honour LCNs?
    ... To the best of my knowledge, there is no charge for Freeview which is ... data in the clear, except for, or soon to be, BBC HD services. ... On FreeSat, the situation is a little different with Freesat requiring ... LCN and only stations which pay money to the Freesat consortium ...
    (uk.tech.broadcast)
  • Re: Satellite v Freeview
    ... From a consumer's perspective does satellite viewing have any ... mean Sky. ... Freesat is pretty well a copy of Freeview. ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: Satellite v Freeview
    ... From a consumer's perspective does satellite viewing have any ... mean Sky. ... Freesat is pretty well a copy of Freeview. ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)
  • Re: Receivers (therefore OT) that do and do not honour LCNs?
    ... > But is such a charge in fact in place, on either FreeView or FreeSat? ... LCN and only stations which pay money to the Freesat consortium ... nice if the channels were to have the channel number they can find on websites and the like. ...
    (uk.tech.broadcast)
  • Re: Dilemma: Which transmitter to tune to?
    ... The next time I buy a tv it will have freesat as I ... feel Freeview is going to always be the poor relation nowadays. ... EM was chosen as it carries the new stations such as local TV. ... as otherwise I would have lost out on the new BBC HD multiplex (BBC ...
    (uk.tech.digital-tv)