Re: Licence fee?

Naked Gonad wrote:
Rastamon wrote:
"Naked Gonad" <bodron57@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:497c4352$1_2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Do Americans have to pay a TV licence fee like we do in
the UK?

Gonad

What do you mean by License fee?

Like a license to use or buy a TV? Nope. Unless it's a electronics
disposal fee, which is required by some States.

I mean that in the UK, it is illegal to use a TV without a licence.When
a TV is purchased in the UK,it is compulsory to fill a form out, stating
where you live etc.Detector vans ensure that no-one is cheating.
The fee at present is £150 per year.
It's the BBC basically that we are paying it for because they have no
advertising whatsoever on all their channels.It's definitely worth it
when you can watch a complete program without adverts every 10 mins
or so.

Gonad
Neither Canada (where I'm from) nor the US has ever had television
licensing fees.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing

  • Re: Licence fee?
    ... What do you mean by License fee? ... advertising whatsoever on all their channels.It's definitely worth it ... Are we in the US paying for it anyway at the checkout? ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: Licence fee?
    ... What do you mean by License fee? ... disposal fee, which is required by some States. ... electronics recycling program. ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)