Re: Is there a hard drive TV recorder that does NOT use Tivo service?

On Jan 15, 10:01 am, Mike Ray <m...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
DeanB wrote:
I'm looking for a hard-disk version of a "VHS tape recorder". Does
anyone make something? I do not want to subscribe to TiVo. All I want
is to select a channel and press record. And hopefully play back and
skip ads fast.

Thanks for any info!

Ok a little OT (not a read Hard Drive) but I use a DVD recorder with
DVD-RAM disk. DVD-RAM are cheap ($1-$2 each) work almost like slow
removable hard drives. I can erase and record 100,000 times per disk and
can also time shift with my Panasonic (which includes a nice menu system
for recording several shows on the same disk. Want to edit just stick
the DVD-RAM in your computer and have at it)

I do this myself when I want to record 2 things at the same time. My
Sony HD OTA DVR only has one tuner. As you report, the DVD-RAM works
great as long as you don't mind downcoverting any HD to SD.

Dan (Woj...)

  • Re: Linux Backup Administration
    ... I'm the one using DVD-RAM disks as tapes... ... and mount them as hard disk partitions. ... protected in a cartridge... ... take the single sided disk out of the cartridge and all drives treat it ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Is there a hard drive TV recorder that does NOT use Tivo service?
    ... Ok a little OT but I use a DVD recorder with DVD-RAM disk. ... DVD-RAM are cheap work almost like slow removable hard drives. ... I can erase and record 100,000 times per disk and can also time shift with my Panasonic (which includes a nice menu system for recording several shows on the same disk. ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • DVD-RAM sector 0 and 2 errors
    ... I used to backup to CD-RW but then I replaced the CD Writer with a DVD Writer and switched to using DVD-RAM for backup. ... So I decided to try actually using the DVD-RAM disks as DVD-RAM and reworked the script to use mke2fs /dev/dvd to format. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: DVD RAM
    ... need special DVD burning software to write or read DVD-RAMs on a computer." ... Your links all say the same thing, that XP will Write to a DVD-RAM drive, nowhere do they say they will format an unformatted disk, and the Microsoft link states explicitly that XP will Not write to a DVD-RAM disk that has been formatted to the CDFS specification. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: DVDs or FOSTEX dv40
    ... I meant to say DVD-RAM 1.5 UDF, not UFD but I knew you know that... ... Jay ... When you put in a DVD-R the machine will read and read ... >> have them test a DVD-R disk and see if they can read them. ...
    (rec.arts.movies.production.sound)