Re: Vizio - Great Deal or Subpar Product?

<me@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Jim Wilkins <KB1DAL@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It's the largest size that fits the remaining space on the top
shelf
of my computer table, and it can display 1080i, or at least
more than
the 720p of other small HDTVs, which at 768 high are no better
than a
15" monitor. The difference is clearly visible to these 60+
year old
myopic eyes at PC monitor distance.

OK

I've been thinking abt buying a 32"
1080p TV set for use as PC monitor

Would that work out ok? The size and
1080p that is?

I'm using 42" LCD 1080 displays as PC monitors. On one system,
I was running two monitors, the other a 17" placed on a desk.
The 42" displays are great for sitting comfortably in an easy
chair about 7' away and using a wireless keyboard. The most
significant problem with this is Microsoft's own ignorance of
their accessibility *specs* in that some window components can
be enlarged by the OS, others can not. Many components enlarge
poorly - illegibly. The programmers who create the windows have
even more ignorance of the specs. For example, zoom the IE7
window for NetFlix and hover over a title to see the detail.
The detail pops up off-screen. Zoom many other windows
containing text and the text width, being unbounded, expands
beyond the screen. Yet some windows work just the way you'd
hope, so it's obvious that it can be done. You can twiddle the
OS params for text/font and make some headway, but it's mediocre
at best. Using OE for newsgroups, it's possible to set a font
size to read without my glasses at 7'. Likewise, an IE7 zoom of
30% to 50%, depending upon the page design, works similarly.
Customizing the desktop produces readable navigation windows and
icons, but many sub-systems refuse to obey those parameters and
either a magnifier or a trip from the chair to myopically view
the screen is necessary. And mind you, I'm nowhere near *blind*
!

One thing that's clear is that programmers, sitting at whatever
size monitors barely 2' from their nose, remain clueless as to
what their window content will look like when tweaking the OS
params and viewing either from a distance or through handicapped
eyes.

Scaling, scaling, scaling! Few know what it is, few of them
take the extra steps in their coding. Yet the tools are there.

  • Re: OT: my new PC rocks!!
    ... I'm alright with this because I kept the big monitor box (because it's ... that Windows may recognise "plug and play" monitors better...but, ... X-Windows really needs one simple-ish addition (which was originally ... Red Hat use "MD5 sums" on all of the ISO images for you to ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • [kde] Re: How do I remove the "new activity" item from the desktop?
    ... I can't see the point of having any icons on the desktop. ... The bottom monitor is my "work" monitor, where I often run dual half- ... maxed windows all accessible, clicking in say akregator to open a browser ... in the screenshot, the only plasmoid on it is the comic strip plasmoid, ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: OT Media Center PC
    ... digital video recorder, digitize old video tapes, and play movies. ... install my Hauppauge WinTV card, get a video card that will play on the ... My WinTV board was for Windows Media Center ... one monitor and TV on the other monitor, or does it just work as using the ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: XP setup screen does not fill screen
    ... to windows and change the resolution...I told him how can i change ... screen nicely...but its the setup that is the problem. ... Its an excellent monitor otherwise..but rotten support. ... Again Video card with HDTV seems limiting itself to the TV mode. ...
    (rec.video.desktop)
  • Re: Someone help please
    ... Nass the monitor goes blank before she even gets to the windows interface so she I not going to be able to click the Start button>all Programs etc. ... I agree about installing the drivers for the motherboard and, indeed, the video drivers but currently this problem is also happening just after accepting the option for safe mode. ... Any other ideas to get SP2 off or restore to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)