Re: tru2way

Charles Tomaras wrote:
"Jer" <gdunn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:RcKdneCKE6cOQ8XUnZ2dnUVZ_h2dnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Charles Tomaras wrote:
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:elmop-6A9366.21594828122008@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In article <tzV5l.39815$sC4.3763@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So turning some sort of profit in a capitalistic society is your idea of
abuse?
Nope.

But are you saying the buggy whip manufacturers are owed business? That
my availing myself of that fancy "automobile" technology is abusing the
buggy whip manufacturers?

Things change. No one is owed business. If the model goes away, they
come up with some other way to get what they want.
No..it's more like you drive an automobile but you don't want to pay for the fuel and you somehow believe that anyone who does pay for fuel is stupid because you are able to run your car off the fumes of others.

I don't understand this analogy... in that I have no problem paying for the fuel I use in my car - I don't prefer to have commercials foisted upon me as some sort of obligation before I'm offered the opportunity to purchase the fuel. But, for the sake of being clear, let's assume there is some sort of obligation to watch a commercial or two before the pump dispenses my requested amount of fuel. It's the obligation that's so wrong. If, OTOH, I can pay a slightly higher price for the fuel if I choose to not watch the commercials, then fine, bill me for the higher 'no commercials' price.

I'm with you on paying the higher price....just seems that Shag Nasty wants it for free or at least at the expense of the "idiot" others because he somehow feels he's smarter than the rest of us.

What I fear is that the pay extra model will not work and will reduce the amount of non-mainstream programming available. Narrowcasting has financial limitations and without adequate financial incentives the programming will not be created nor distributed.

I absolutely agree with your assessment, and I'm just saying I'm willing to pay for no commercial service, if one should be offered. I'm not expecting anything for free, program producers have to have a revenue stream, else they're in the bread line. I recall the reason I signed up for cable TV in the beginning - no commercials on the channels I wanted. There were other channels with commercials included in my service, but I never watched those.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

  • Re: tru2way
    ... my availing myself of that fancy "automobile" technology is abusing the ... the fuel and you somehow believe that anyone who does pay for fuel is ... the fuel I use in my car - I don't prefer to have commercials foisted upon ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: tru2way
    ... But are you saying the buggy whip manufacturers are owed business? ... No..it's more like you drive an automobile but you don't want to pay for the ... fuel and you somehow believe that anyone who does pay for fuel is stupid ... choose to not watch the commercials, then fine, bill me for the higher ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: tru2way
    ... But are you saying the buggy whip manufacturers are owed business? ... No..it's more like you drive an automobile but you don't want to pay for the fuel and you somehow believe that anyone who does pay for fuel is stupid because you are able to run your car off the fumes of others. ... If, OTOH, I can pay a slightly higher price for the fuel if I choose to not watch the commercials, then fine, bill me for the higher 'no commercials' price. ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: Anyone have a PDF of Onan 20.0 DL4 manuals or information? Ping Igor
    ... If I have to pay money, ... it straight to Cummins Onan, not to some opportunist with a copier... ... Onan DL4 Spec C 20KW Standby ... meaning there is water in the fuel tank - just don't know how much. ...
    (rec.crafts.metalworking)
  • Re: Food, Fuel and Family Finances...
    ... So how would you rather pay your tax to the Government? ... regressive, including fuel tax. ... I'd imagine that car ownership and mileage is inversly ...
    (uk.media.tv.misc)