Re: Comcast telephone service question

Pete C. wrote:
Jer wrote:
rb wrote:
cjdaytonjrnospam@xxxxxxx wrote:
RickH <passport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

I'm thinking of switching my land line from ma bell to comcast.
However I will not do it unless I know for sure that my land line hard-
wired phones will continue to operate during a power outage. I've
gotten 2 different answers from the Comcast people. When I called
them to inquire about service, they said that my phone line would go
dead during a power outage. When a Comcast salesman recently cold-
called me to offer phone service, he said yes the hard wired phones
will work during a power outage. (I know the wireless phones wont
work, I'm just talking about my old line-powered-bell hard-wired
extensions).

Can anyone who has Comcast phone service tell me if I will have
service during power outages or not? Also this is not something that
can be tested by just pulling my mains breaker, I need to know if I
will have service during a neighborhood outage, like I do today with
my plain-old-telephone-service (pots line). (Through many a power
outage I have never known my ma bell line to go dead.)

Please dont suggest I use a cell phone as I have no cell coverage at
my home.

IIRC, the cable based phones have to work by law for
a certain length of time without power, maybe a couple
of hours. Do a Google lookup to find further information.

Chip

I don't believe that is true. I have Charter cable, internet and phone
in my house. The phone modem is plugged into a regular outlet in my
store room. The tech told me that if I loose power I lose my phone line.

Its different at my cabin up in northern MN, the local phone company
just got done running fiber to my cabin. It carries cable tv, internet
and phone and the unit that splits everything out has a built in battery
backup.

RB
The beauty of fiber is, similar to copper cable, the cable can run for
many miles without needing any loop electronics, ie. line repeaters or
multiplexers. Once that fiber cable terminates at the consumer end,
then power is necessary and is the sole discretion of the consumer. For
copper cable terminating on old telephones, the consumer still doesn't
need power because the old telephones aren't powered independently of
the copper line.

For the cable companies the fiber generally goes to local nodes that
serve a small area of customers via regular coax feeders. Fiber direct
to the home is just beginning to materialize.

I know Verizon's FIOS service is being rolled out in the Dallas area burbs. I'd be interested to know how they feed multiple homes from a common source. Some sort of signal slitting goin on?

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

  • Re: Comcast telephone service question
    ... I'm thinking of switching my land line from ma bell to comcast. ... wired phones will continue to operate during a power outage. ... just got done running fiber to my cabin. ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: Comcast telephone service question
    ... I'm thinking of switching my land line from ma bell to comcast. ... wired phones will continue to operate during a power outage. ... just got done running fiber to my cabin. ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: Comcast telephone service question
    ... I'm thinking of switching my land line from ma bell to comcast. ... wired phones will continue to operate during a power outage. ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: Comcast telephone service question
    ... I'm thinking of switching my land line from ma bell to comcast. ... wired phones will continue to operate during a power outage. ... just got done running fiber to my cabin. ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • The 29 Healthiest Foods on the Planet...
    ... The Power: Oleic acid, an unsaturated fat that helps lower overall ... cholesterol and raise levels of HDL, plus a good dose of fiber. ... berries are also packed with vitamin C and are high in fiber, ...
    (rec.food.cooking)