Re: Deja Vu All Aver Again

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 11:37:36 GMT, spam@xxxxxxx (Citizen Bob) wrote:

But I can spot early adopter syndrome when I see it. It has the same
characteristics as every instance before - half-baked equipment that
falls apart early and could become completely obsolete in the next
generation.

In my experience (having used the first microwave ovens, VCR's, and
laserdisc players), 1st generation equipment is usually industrial military
quality, precision machined components, hand-tied wiring harnesses, thick
cast aluminum and machined subassemblies, bronze bushings, basically built
like a tank for years of service that won't be needed because advancements
in technology will render the product obsolete.

What happens with most products over time is manufacturers figure out how
to reduce costs by reducing parts, going with cheaper alternatives that
don't have to last 20 years, simplifying design, and moving the whole
operation to China. Only then do you have products that "fall apart
early", are totally unserviceable, more easily fixed by just throwing out
and buying something new.
.