Re: HDMI vs. Component

--
All the Best,
Richard Harison
<njohnson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1186513488.933310.86370@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Jul 7, 6:44 am, "WGD" <wgd.roam...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Theo:

Visual differences between component and HDMI aside for a moment, HDMI
significantly reduces cable clutter.

As time goes by, look for HDMI Ver 1.3. One feature therein fixes the
occassionallip syncproblem.

Wayne
Sarasota, FL

"Theo Gluck" <theogluckNOS...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

I just brought home a 32" Vizio from COSTCO and hooked it up via
component to my DirecTV H20 (since for the life of me I cannot find the
other HDMI cable that came with the HD20). The picture is actually
quite good indeed.

Before I tear apart the house and/or buy another HDMI cable will I
truly
see that noticeable a qualitative difference between the differing two
inputs?

Just curious as to what the consensus might be

thanks

Theo
Studio City, CA- Hide quoted text -

I just want to clariify something Wayne said about HDMI 1.3: He said:
"One feature therein fixes the occassional lip sync problem."

While I agree you should expect that since it is called "automatic lip-
sync correction" it really doesn't do that at all.

Automatic lip-sync correction is actually "impossible" since there is
no time stamp or watermark in the video and audio signals to define

when they were "ever" in sync.

*Watermark/Time Stamp* Interesting concept. Wasn't that what clapboards
were all about int the movies? :)

--
All the Best,
Richard Harison

All HDMI 1.3 does is add a protocol within the EDID handshaking to let
a display tell an av receiver what "fixed video delay" it will cause
so if the receiver has an audio delay feature it can set the delay for
you. Most av receivers already offer a fixed delay so all HDMI 1.3's
new highly touted feature will do is save you the few minutes one time
to go through all the menus to set that delay to cancel the fixed
delay your screen adds. But as we know that fixed audio delay doesn't
correct for the 50 to 80 ms of variable delay present in the signals
as we change from program to program or DVD to DVD.

And amazingly reasearch at Stanford showed lip-sync error in that same
range (the 50 to 80 ms of varying delay left after correcting for the
display's fixed delay) caused viewers to experience the same negative
feelings of distrust and disbelief whether they noticed the problem or
not. (Do a Google search for lip-sync and Reeves and Voelker to find
that research)

It's ironic that our pursuit of realism has created a place where
sound comes before the action that caused the sound which is
impossible in the real world.

The only solution to eliminate the variable lip-sync error from
program to program or from one DVd to the next is one of these
dedicated delay boxes recently reviewed at:

http://www.audaud.com/article.php?ArticleID=3011

Each of them allows you to tweak the audio delay on-the-fly for
perfect lip-sync while watching without distrurbing the image you're
watching. So, basically HDMI 1.3 doesn't do any more for lip-sync
correction than most av receivers today and if they did an adequate
job there wouldn't be a market for these three companies' dedicated
delay units.

  • Re: HDMI vs. Component
    ... Visual differences between component and HDMI aside for a moment, ... "One feature therein fixes the occassional lip sync problem." ... a display tell an av receiver what "fixed video delay" it will cause ... And amazingly reasearch at Stanford showed lip-sync error in that same ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: HDMI vs. Component
    ... Visual differences between component and HDMI aside for a moment, ... significantly reduces cable clutter. ... One feature therein fixes the ... a display tell an av receiver what "fixed video delay" it will cause ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: Run HDMI from DVD to TV. What about audio?
    ... HDMI 1.3 is an update to the HDMI specification. ... delay times can be communicated between the source and the display. ... It's all about the communications. ... As Matthew said the HDMI 1.3 feature is just a protocol (within the ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: Run HDMI from DVD to TV. What about audio?
    ... | HDMI 1.3 is an update to the HDMI specification. ... It also specifies changes in the protocol so that processing ... delaying the video by 851.375 milliseconds, so you should delay audio to ... HDMI is a communications standard ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: Sony Blu-ray + Marantz receiver + HDMI = static or snow flashes ?
    ... I see a tiny lip-sync problem with the audio going to the TV, ... the audio to introduce the needed delay to balance its own processing ... With the newest HDMI version there is also a possibility ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)