Re: Run HDMI from DVD to TV. What about audio?

On Jul 14, 8:37 pm, "Matthew L. Martin" <noth...@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
k-man wrote:
Hi Phil:

I still don't understand. I don't know anything about a cable being
fixed.

HDMI 1.3 is an update to the HDMI specification. AIUI, it mandates
higher bandwidth to enable 1080p and deep color (deeper than HDTV
specs). It also specifies changes in the protocol so that processing
delay times can be communicated between the source and the display. This
allows the two devices to attempt to counter the processing time to
avoidlip syncissues.

On Jul 13, 8:19 am, phil-news-nos...@xxxxxxxx wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 04:38:06 -0000 k-man <kmccr...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

| Phil:
|
| Who said anything about the cable putting things out of sync? From
| WGD's info, it talks about processing time. At least, that's how I
| interpreted it in this particular message.

So you are saying the cable is not the source of theproblem? Yet why
is the cable being fixed to correct theproblem?

If something is doing some processing in the wrong way, then fix that
processing.

It's all about the communications. HDMI is a communications standard
that specifies the electrical characteristics of the cable *AND* the
protocol use to communicate over the cable. The cable is the medium for
the communications. Changing the protocol used over the cable requires a
change to the cable system specification. If there were no electrical
changes to the cable specifications, I would have called it HDMI 1.2.1,
but they changed both at the same time, hence HDMI 1.3.

Matthew

--
I'm a consultant. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?

I just want to reinforce what Matthew said about HDMI 1.3's lip sync
feature since so many people think that it really is "automatic lip-
sync correction" and it isn't. That's definitely a misnomer since
automatic lip-sync icorrection is actually impossible due to the fact
that there is nothing in the signals to define when they are or were
ever in sync.

As Matthew said the HDMI 1.3 feature is just a protocol (within the
EDID handshaking) allowing the dispaly to tell its source the fixed
delay it will add so the source (a/v receiver) can delay the audio
that same fixed amount but that won't solve about half of the lip-sync
problem because it varies from program to program and DVD to DVD. In
fact, most av receivers already have a delay feature you can set to
offset a fixed screen delay in a minute or two one time and all the
new HDMI feature does is set it for you saving you those few minutes
once since it's not going to change as long as you have the same
display. What's really needed is a way to adjust the delay in small
increments while watching without upsetting your program or movie and
so far I haven't seen any av receivers -HDMI 1.3 or otherwise that do
that which has created the market for the dedicated audio delays
reviewed here:

http://www.audaud.com/article.php?ArticleID=3011

  • Re: Run HDMI from DVD to TV. What about audio?
    ... | HDMI 1.3 is an update to the HDMI specification. ... It also specifies changes in the protocol so that processing ... delaying the video by 851.375 milliseconds, so you should delay audio to ... HDMI is a communications standard ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: HDMI vs. Component
    ... Visual differences between component and HDMI aside for a moment, ... "One feature therein fixes the occassional lip sync problem." ... a display tell an av receiver what "fixed video delay" it will cause ... And amazingly reasearch at Stanford showed lip-sync error in that same ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: HDMI vs. Component
    ... Visual differences between component and HDMI aside for a moment, ... Automatic lip-sync correction is actually "impossible" since there is ... a display tell an av receiver what "fixed video delay" it will cause ... And amazingly reasearch at Stanford showed lip-sync error in that same ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: HDMI vs. Component
    ... Visual differences between component and HDMI aside for a moment, ... significantly reduces cable clutter. ... One feature therein fixes the ... a display tell an av receiver what "fixed video delay" it will cause ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: PVR / HD recorder recomendations
    ... I liked their comment "Twin tuners are an essential feature of any PVR ... I've got plenty of SCARTS on my Samsung gas-plas, so no HDMI ... there's a link to their review of that at the end of the review of the ...
    (uk.rec.motorcycles)