Re: Upconverting question

On 6/27/07 6:37 AM, Leonard Caillouet wrote:
"ninphan" <sjburke73@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1182881394.943419.293170@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
No, you can send a 480p signal to a television that will display the
480p signal.
Not all televisions have built in scaling.
One's that don't that have resolutions stated represent the
resolutions the television set is CAPABLE of displaying.
All Sony XBR HDTV's for example have upscaling in them. My friend's
61" Teshiba DLP does not. You can change the output of the PS3 from
1080i to 480p and see the difference in the menu on the screen.
Again, televisions do not automatically upconvert inputs to whatever
they are capable of displaying, they list the resolutions to show you
what signals they can accept.

Your friends Toshiba DLP does indeed upconvert everything it gets. The only sets that do convert scan rates to their native resolution are multiscan CRT based sets that can do more than one scan rate. Fixed pixel displays have a native resolution and everything that they display has to be scaled to that resolution. Period. You might check your fact before stating them like you know what you are talking about.

Leonard

Of course upscaling a 480p signal will not look as good as native source 1080i signal! If it looked the same, then why bother having native 1080i sources?

  • Re: Upconverting question
    ... Not all televisions have built in scaling. ... One's that don't that have resolutions stated represent the ... display the image depending on the input signal. ... If the native display of a DLP is 720, ALL signals that it accepts are ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: Upconverting question
    ... Not all televisions have built in scaling. ... One's that don't that have resolutions stated represent the ... resolutions the television set is CAPABLE of displaying. ... what signals they can accept. ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: PC to LCD Max Resolution? ATI Card Doesnt Do The Trick?
    ... The ATSC standard, at 1080, only provides for ... Unless a TV was advertised as a monitor, ... The PC monitor expects 60p or higher signals at its rated ... arbitrary resolutions and rates for 16:10 and/or 4:3 content. ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: Upconverting question
    ... Not all televisions have built in scaling. ... One's that don't that have resolutions stated represent the ... resolutions the television set is CAPABLE of displaying. ... what signals they can accept. ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: 360 resolution settings - help
    ... >I've just got a Samsung 19" Widescreen LCD TV which is connected to my PC as>a monitor. ... I have it set to the native resolution of the screen at 1440x900>and everything is perfect via a standard VGA monitor cable. ... >Thanks> you'll need to get a VGA lead, as that allows you to select from a number of different resolutions and pick the one closest to your screen's native res. ...
    (uk.games.video.xbox)