Re: Is HDTV really user friendly?

On Mon, 08 May 2006 08:14:47 -0500, me@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

When it works, you mean.

When it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

That's what I mean

with analog the signal can be pretty crummy and one can
still watch it correct?

I'm watching some stations that are pretty crummy on analog, but just
fine on digital and HD.

Digital is pretty fault tolerant and can do a creditable job on a
pretty weak signal, but you seldom see a poor picture. It's either
there or it's gone.

Rarely do I see any pixelation like you see with digital satellite in
a heavy rain or snow storm.

OTOH I have one UHF antenna pointed south and one pointed NW. Both are
up about 90 feet with antenna mounted preamps. Some analog stations
show ghosts, snow, and other artifacts. The same stations on digital
and HD are perfect.

Now that I've moved my dish AND realigned it myself with over 20% more
signal through 130 feet of feed line compared to the original short
lines I may not have near as much trouble with snow and rain.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

  • Re: IBOC
    ... analog signal is already getting noisy. ... A couple have turned it off because their antenna sisytems are not ... person who does not even know most stations already have delay, ... the good signals are nearly all moving to HD. ...
    (rec.radio.shortwave)
  • Re: Final Evening of Analog TV?
    ... | coverage with their digital signal until they remove the analog antenna. ... | on this issue and I wonder if some of these stations may ask to shut off ... | move their digital channel, but have to wait until another station moves ... broadcasting by full-power stations in the analog television service, ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: Can I sue the government for taking
    ... analog stations are still at low power on their digital signal which is ... true for several hundred full power stations in the US. ... When the Sanyo is picking up a digital channel, the picture is perfect but there is no in between. ... Before I list all the stations, is your antenna 26 years old? ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: Does ota DTV have the reception range of ota analog?
    ... match the analog coverage area with the digital broadcast. ... I also get some digital stations nice and solid that are rather noisy on ... there are still a number of 'full power' stations that are ... Another issue is that the broadcast spectrum is very crowded in some ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: 2009- do I have it right?
    ... Not all analog frequencies. ... only 37 full power stations have selected to use low VHF 2 to ... Class A and low power stations and quite a few translators which are ... I suggest that all stations above 51 but below 60 will be used for OTA digital TV broadcasting and that these new broadcasters will put OTA broadcasting below channel 52 on a very short lease on life. ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)