Re: Black levels 'brighten' on Plasma HDTV

On Wed, 03 May 2006 21:57:46 GMT, JimK <1alpha@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, 03 May 2006 19:21:17 GMT, Prince of Orange <nospam@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

I recently purchased a 37" Panasonic TH37PX50U Plasma HDTV. I've
noticed that the black levels of the picture will momentarily brighten
on occasion, then return to its normal shade within a second or two.
It seems to happen more frequently when watching DVDs (via HDMI),
though I've noticed it while watching HDTV broadcasts as well. It's
particularly noticeable on the black bars when watching widescreen
images with aspect ratios larger than 1:85 to 1, even when they're
Anamorphic. My current picture settings are:

Picture +10
Brightness + 9
Color - 7
Tint 0
Sharpness 0

I had my Picture and Brightness settings at about +5 for the first
month during the breakin period.

Does anyone have any idea whether or not this is a problem with my
set, or is this behavior typical? The brightening of the black levels
is not severe, but it's enough to attract my attention. Any feedback
would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Black level shift

It involves going into the Service Menu, and going into the SD (screen
display) sub-menu. There is a new feature called "Letterbox Mode",
which is set by default to "Off". Switching this Letterbox Mode to
"ON" will resolve the problems with the black level fluctuation
(apparently this mode is not available on the 50" models, and is only
on the 42" panels).
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=589859&page=2

Can you tell me how to get to the Screen Display sub-menu? I've been
given instructions on how to access the service menu, but there is no
Screen Display sub-menu to edit.

  • Black levels brighten on Plasma HDTV
    ... I recently purchased a 37" Panasonic TH37PX50U Plasma HDTV. ... noticed that the black levels of the picture will momentarily brighten ... My current picture settings are: ... I had my Picture and Brightness settings at about +5 for the first ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: CRT WS 4:3 Screen Geometry SUCKS
    ... >had a great picture, colour and black levels were excellent. ... Two things:how did you get your child to pay you for something? ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Re: Black levels brighten on Plasma HDTV
    ... noticed that the black levels of the picture will momentarily brighten ... It seems to happen more frequently when watching DVDs, ... when the average picture level changes, but I've never heard of that on ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)