Re: Wind causing HDTV signal interruptions

Al wrote:
Thanks, John, I'll have to give this approach a try. We've also
had signal interruption during very light rain, I believe--maybe
it's actually the raindrops' effect on the leaves that's doing it.

John Baker wrote:

I had exactly the same problem.  Reception was great on my digital
USDTV receiver most of the time for most channels except when it was
windy.  I spent a lot of time, turning my omni-directional antenna
trying to find the sweet spot but the wind always caused at least
one channel to pixelate.

For a long time, I suspected there was a problem with my receiver
(especially after reading all the gen 4 vs. gen 5 decoder postings)
until I found an explanation on the following website.

   http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/siting.html

Basically, leaves, especially at high frequencies, significantly
attenuate the OTA signal.  If a tree (with leaves) is directly
between the antenna and the broadcast tower, you may experience
dropouts always or when the wind blows.

If it happens when the wind blows it is multipath from the trees. Which is not a problem in the RF world. It has been solved. It is a political problem. It was inflicted on the US by an ignorant Congress doing the biding of special interest.

Bob Miller

My solution was to find the location of the broadcast towers in
my area on http://www.antennaweb.org and then using a compass, find
a location in my attic with the least leafy obstructions between the
antenna and the broadcast towers.

After moving the antenna to a different part of the attic, I have not
experienced any more pixelation.  Knock on wood, that will continue
after Spring.  One small complaint I have about antennaweb.org is that
they don't indicate if compass heading listed is True North or Magnetic
North.

During the effort to get the best signal, I found the reception
problems and pixelation would not show up immediately.  Sometimes it
would several days to a week and tens of minutes watching individual
channels before a problem would show up.  My worst experience was
when one local channel started experiencing audio transmitter problems
at exactly the same time I was trying to adjust the antenna causing
me to waste several hours fiddling with the antenna.

numeric wrote: