Re: Would I still be able to watch/record non-HDTV shows with a HDTV tuner?

<phil-news-nospam@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:42:59 -0000 Grant Edwards <grante@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> | On 2005-10-28, T Shadow <knone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> |
> |> Could you explain what you mean by this? I don't have any problems
capturing
> |> analog with an HDTV Wonder. I don't consider 18% CPU usage "not doing a
very
> |> good job".
> |
> | It is compared to something like a PVR-250, which records MPEG2
> | with 2% CPU usage.
>
> If it could do the job in 18% of CPU in the fastest available (today)
> Intel CPU, and match the quality and effectiveness of real hardware
> compression, I'd be interested in that software.
>
> Hardware compression can, conceivably, do a number of the DCTs in parallel
> to achieve greater throughput.

My % was off. See other post.
Not saying hardware compression is bad, just that it's an added cost if your
willing to use the CPU you already have.

  • Re: Windows media encoder
    ... Capturing is CPU and ram intensive, ... The WindowsTask manager will appear, ... Running Processes and CPU Usage. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.video)
  • Re: Windows media encoder
    ... Capturing is CPU and ram intensive, ... or severe drain on system. ... Running Processes and CPU Usage. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.video)
  • Re: Hardware-assisted compression: not CPU-efficient?
    ... Never got a proper answer, and till now not clear, in which case would bring the hardware compression some CPU reduction ... For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, ... send email to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxx with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO ...
    (bit.listserv.ibm-main)
  • Re: Yet another SVCHOST.EXE posting (my workaround)
    ... SVCHOST.EXE is an important part of Windows. ... Process Explorer you can see which and that is why I asked about the Command ... about the Windows Automatic Update service -a common cause of excessive CPU ... First off I killed PID 1302 and noticed that CPU usage fell down ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: 99-100% Explorer Processor Usage
    ... Looking at a third incident on a separate PC of 'explorer.exe' hitting ... and see if the CPU is bogged down without the client installed. ... CPU usage hits 99-100% even where the PC has the custom application ... The tool expressly indicates the 'parent'/root 'Windows Explorer' is ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)