Re: Do All STB's contain noisy cooling fans ?

Moody (moodyblue@xxxxxxxxx) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> Miraculously, HD Monitors with built in HD tuners don't have cooling
> fans.

They will likely die more quickly, then. The tuners run pretty hot.

> Are there boxes out there without the humming fan ?

I've never noticed the fan in my HD DirecTiVo. When I'm watching TV, the
sound is loud enough that the fan is inaudible. When I'm not watching TV,
I'm not in the room, so I don't care.

--
Jeff Rife | /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
| \ / against HTML e-mail
| X and USENET posts
| / \

  • Re: Do All STBs contain noisy cooling fans ?
    ... Inside monitors with built-in tuners the mfr doesn't have to allow for the ... It's also the same reason my old Hughes E86 has a 6" muffin fan sitting on ... >the fact they all seem to have a noisy cooling fan built in. ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • Hey, Wingerts back!!!
    ... Hi, KW, just caught your post in the thread on tuners. ... I met a big fan of yours today on the beach at Hanalei Bay. ...
    (rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic)
  • Re: LCDs and Pixelation
    ... >> think tuners would generate that much heat. ... > I doubt that the tuner itself generates much heat at all. ... It's still not as much heat as an ATSC tuner. ... HD in hardware and doesn't have a fan of any kind, and runs very, very ...
    (alt.tv.tech.hdtv)
  • The doping stuff makes it hard to be a fan
    ... I'm just a fan, ... the tdf and now the Tour of California because it's in the Bay Area where I ... watching when Lance was winning so I guess I'm a fair weathered fan. ... Yet he did not come out to support Floyd, as far as I can tell. ...
    (rec.bicycles.racing)
  • Re: Empfehlung =?ISO-8859-15?Q?f=FCr_Einsteigernotebook?=
    ... Weiterhin wird nicht die sehr "sprunghafte" Temperaturangabe der CPU direkt genommen, ... When on AC the fan always on setting in F10 will keep the fan running at 20% which is quieter than the hard drive noise. ...
    (de.comp.sys.notebooks)