S11 Premiere Draws Lowest Ratings Of Series

11th 'Survivor' edition draws fewer votes
Scott Collins

September 17, 2005

Is "Survivor" in trouble?

"Survivor: Guatemala," the 11th edition of CBS' popular reality series, opened Thursday to the lowest premiere ratings since the show first became a sensation back in the summer of 2000.

An average of 18.4 million viewers tuned in, according to Nielsen Media Research, making it the night's most-watched show. But that was lower than last year's premiere for "Survivor: Vanuatu" (19.1 million) and February's opening of "Survivor: Palau" (23.7 million).

CBS spokesman Chris Ender said that the ratings must be put in perspective. President Bush's live address delayed "Survivor's" scheduled 8 p.m. start in the Mountain Time Zone, he said. Also, the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina has essentially knocked CBS' New Orleans affiliate out of commission, Ender said.

"The continued ratings success of 'Survivor' defies gravity," he said. "Show me another series in its 11th edition that draws 18.5 million viewers."

— Scott Collins

http://tinyurl.com/79bz9

[
I think that the reality-TV genre has peaked and American viewers are gradually losing interest, especially in the competition type of reality-TV. Other reality-TV competition shows like The Apprentice and Fear Factor suffered major declines in ratings this past year. So I'm not surprised to see Survivor dip a bit too. I'll bet that The Amazing Race 8 will get lower ratings than Amazing Race 7 did as well.
]

-- Steven D. Litvintchouk Email: sdlitvin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: J.P. On Letterman Tonight
    ... I think the network told him to have Survivor losers on. ... TV, but the network wants ratings, and Survivor is ... Grey's Anatomy ABC 22.80 ... CSI: Miami CBS 17.90 ...
    (alt.tv.survivor)
  • Re: J.P. On Letterman Tonight
    ... I think the network told him to have Survivor losers on. ... TV, but the network wants ratings, and Survivor is ... Grey's Anatomy ABC 22.80 ... CSI: Miami CBS 17.90 ...
    (alt.tv.survivor)
  • Re: J.P. On Letterman Tonight
    ... TV, but the network wants ratings, and Survivor is ... Grey's Anatomy ABC 22.80 ... CSI: Miami CBS 17.90 ...
    (alt.tv.survivor)
  • Re: Overnight Ratings - Thursday 2/2/06
    ... Last week's Fast National Ratings ... As a basis for comparison, the last edition of Survivor, ... are based on the fast nationals, while any prior results are a ... ("CSI", repeat, no data) ...
    (rec.arts.tv)
  • Re: Tribe change thoughts!!!
    ... It may, however, have been a start-up gimmick for ratings. ... do honestly believe that Survivor was trying to widen the racial profile ... of the contestants and of the viewers. ... - hence a mostly white contestant base.>> ...
    (alt.tv.survivor)