UPDATE: Pregnant, Dead Fort Bragg Soldier Found in Motel Room/ Megan Touma

Search warrants released in Touma case

Posted: Jun. 27 7:03 p.m.
Updated: Jun. 27 11:13 p.m.

Fayetteville, N.C. - Search warrants released Friday evening show two
sections of drywall containing a red substance suspected to be blood were
seized from the scene where a pregnant Fort Bragg soldier was found dead.

Spc. Megan Lynn Touma, 23, was found Saturday morning in a room at the
Fairfield Inn on Morganton Road after guests complained of an odor coming
from inside. She was seven months pregnant, police said.

Items were seized from the hotel room and a rented Chevrolet Trailblazer
parked outside. The search warrants show swabbings of possible DNA were also

The Fayetteville Police Department has called Touma's death suspicious but
has released no details of the investigation.

An autopsy was conducted on her decomposed body to determine the cause of
death, but the results hadn't been released by Friday evening.

Fort Bragg officials said Touma was assigned to the base June 12. A dental
specialist from Cold Spring, Ky., who had been in the Army for five years,
she previously was assigned to Army dental clinics in Germany and at Fort
Drum, N.Y., officials said.

She attended two required formations that day but wasn't seen on base after
that. Fort Bragg spokeswoman Maj. Angela Funaro said each unit commander has
the discretion to declare a soldier absent without leave after 24 hours. If
Touma had been deemed AWOL, military and local police would have been

The Army is investigating to determine why Touma wasn't declared AWOL and
whether anyone tried to check on her, Funaro said. The investigation is
being led by Fort Bragg's commanding general and was expected to last 14
days, she said.

Touma was staying at the Fayetteville motel while she looked for off-base
living quarters, Funaro said.

A maintenance supervisor at the hotel found her body in the bathtub of her
room after going inside shortly before she was scheduled to check out,
according to the application for a search warrant filed in the case. Hotel
workers hadn't entered the room in four days because a "Do Not Disturb" sign
had been hanging outside, the document stated.

Although some of the furniture was displaced in the room, there was no
indication in the document that there was evidence of a struggle.

The 19th Replacement Company, to which Touma was assigned at Fort Bragg,
held a private memorial service for her Friday morning in Hope Chapel on the