Cold Case: Suspect Indicted in Girl Scout's '75 slaying

Exclusive: Police To Make Arrest In Marcia Trimble Case
Investigators Find DNA Link To Jerome Barrett
Reported By Dennis Ferrier

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Sources confirm to Channel 4 that prosecutors plan to charge Jerome Barrett, 60, with the 1975 kidnapping, raping and killing of 9-year-old Marcia Trimble.

The child was delivering girl scout cookies in an upper class neighborhood of Green Hills when she was abducted.
After hundreds of people were questioned over the years, several sources confirm to Channel 4 News that investigators made a

DNA match to Barrett that could solve the case.

Barrett's name resurfaced last month when he was arrested in connection with the 1975 slaying of Sarah Des Prez, a Vanderbilt University student.

The case is often thought of by longtime Nashville residents as the time when the city lost its innocence forever.

At the time Trimble went missing, school children at Julia Green Elementary helped search for the body and hundreds of teenage boys in Nashville were interviewed as possible suspects.

Many said Virginia Trimble faced the situation with dignity but was criticized by some for not being hysterical enough about her child's death.

In many ways, Jerome Barrett seemed an unlikely suspect. Even last week, the child's mother, Virginia Trimble, told Channel 4 that she didn't think he killed her daughter.

But since that statement, Trimble has met with District Attorney Tom Thurman and has had a change of heart.

"I feel good, I do. I just feel (that) I'm excited . finally maybe some answers. We're going to have some truth," said Trimble.
Signs have started to develop in the last few days that an arrest of Barrett is imminent.

Thurman has met with former and current detectives on the case, such as Capt. Mickey Miller, the living expert on the Trimble case who has been ordered not to speak about the case.

Witnesses and victims have been recently recalled and interviewed by police.

"Those police officers did such an outstanding job on that crime scene in 1975. They just went so above and beyond what was done at the time, and it's the biggest reason that saved this case," one unidentified police source told Channel 4.

In other words, police did not know the significance of DNA in the 1970s, but they found some old evidence that helped them make a connection to the Trimble case.

It is unclear when Barrett will he be formerly charged in the case, but police have said it has been a difficult case to solve because some of the old supplemental reports from 1975 are missing.

http://www.wsmv.com/news/14762550/detail.html

I love seeing these old cases solved.

Chocolic

.