Long Beach mother drives kids to park to kill another kid

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-mom11jul11,0,4347120.story?coll=la-home-center

Mom, youths charged in teen's slaying
The Long Beach woman allegedly drove her teenage son and six other
youths to a park near where the attack occurred, police say.
By Tami Abdollah, Times Staff Writer
July 11, 2007

Memorial
click to enlargeThe mother of a suspected gang member allegedly drove
a group of youths to a Long Beach park to kill a 13-year-old boy in
retaliation for an earlier dispute, police said Tuesday.

Eva Daley, 30, and seven youths, including her 14-year-old son, were
recently arrested and charged in connection with the fatal stabbing of
Jose Cano, said Officer Jackie Bezart, spokeswoman for the Long Beach
Police Department. At least one of the seven was involved in a
previous confrontation with Cano, Bezart said.

When Daley "drove them back to the park, she drove them there for the
purpose of retaliating against the 13-year-old that's deceased," she
said. "She wasn't taking them there to play in the park."

Daley, who remains in custody on $1-million bail, was the only adult
arrested in connection with Cano's slaying. But the seven boys - ages
14 to 17 - may be tried as adults and could each face 25 years to life
in prison if convicted of the killing and a street gang-related
enhancement, authorities said.

Shortly after 9 p.m. on June 25, police responded to a call about a
fight near 14th Street Park involving several youths, authorities
said. During the skirmish, Cano was stabbed several times in the upper
torso.

He was taken in a private car to a local hospital where he died,
authorities said.

Milagros Mendoza, 14, a friend of Cano, said Tuesday that she was with
him that night and recounted the events leading up to his death.

Mendoza said she and Cano, along with his older brother and a few
friends, were standing near the street in front of his family's
apartment, about a block from the park. She said they were waiting to
catch a ride to a friend's house when about 15 boys ran out of an
alley and came up behind Cano.

"They ran over, chasing him, and he tried to jump a fence, and he
couldn't," she said. At that point, the boys descended on him, beating
him with their fists, she said.

Cano managed to get away and started walking across the street,
gripping his chest, Mendoza said. When he reached the edge of the
park, she said, "he fell to the ground and all the guys ran back to
the alley."

Cano's brother ran to help him while Mendoza called 911. But when an
ambulance failed to appear after half an hour, a family friend drove
the teenager to the hospital.

Mendoza, who lives down the street from Daley and her son, said the
son was involved in the LMS, or Local Marijuana Smokers, crew and
described him as "rough." She said Cano was affiliated with the LT
crew, or Latin Thugs.

"I knew that he and him had gotten into a fight before," she said,
"but I never knew [they] were going to take it to that."

Daley, her three children and her boyfriend moved into a small
apartment complex in the 1700 block of Pine Avenue about six months
ago, according to the owner of the building. Her teenage son, whom
police declined to name because of his age, and his friends would
always hang out in the alley where they spray-painted graffiti and
smoked marijuana, said the landlord, who did not want to be
identified.

Neighbors would repeatedly call police to complain, he said. The
police would get mad at him, he said, and tell him to kick the family
out.

"Everyone was scared," he said. On Tuesday, the Daley apartment was
quiet, the graffiti painted over with teal blue paint.

Since she and her son were arrested, the complex has been quiet, the
landlord said.

"They all went to jail," he said. "I was very happy they were in
jail."

At the park three blocks away, a small memorial still lay Tuesday near
the tree by the skate park where Cano fell after being stabbed. A
votive candle with a faded bouquet of flowers sat at the base of the
tree, with the words "RIP Bobby" - as he was known in the neighborhood
- spray-painted in red across it. Above it was sprayed "RIP Terco,"
which in Spanish means "stubborn."

"He'd never listen to anybody; he'd always do what he wants," Mendoza
said. "He'd always be in fights because he'd never let nobody talk
back to him."

But Cano's family, who placed a seventh-grade photo of the baby-faced
boy in a shrine set up in their home surrounded by burning candles
with Christian images, said he was a good child. They said he was
calm, sensitive and an honor student at Franklin Middle School who was
not involved in gangs.

"He was a regular kid, like any other kid," said Enrique Gonzales, 14,
noting that he often saw Cano at the park. "He'd come out and play. I
don't know what he was doing with the other kids."

  • Re: Driving in the car with Grandma
    ... There's a Cemetery that looks like it has lots of trees, there's a golf course, there's Amazon Park and Frank Kinney Park and Tugman Park and Morse Ranch Park and Lafferty Park and and and. ... When my son was a year old I was walking 2 hours in the morning and two in the afternoon, just around the neighborhood, looking at yards and cars going by and he loved it. ... Every child care situation does take an interest in the child. ... (non life threatening emergency. ...
    (misc.kids)
  • Utah was great ... thanks to the help of many in this group.
    ... Rim of Fire State Park in Nevada. ... There was another horseback ride in Red Canyon. ... After that, we drove across the Escalante-Grand Staircase Nat'l Monument, ... doing that on city sidewalks. ...
    (rec.travel.usa-canada)
  • Re: most annoying voices in rock n roll
    ... We drove across the northern part of the US all the way to the central ... we had the van with the full kitchen and propane ... St. Helens, Glacier, and Olympic National Park. ... We were about 50 miles from Great Falls, ...
    (rec.music.gdead)
  • Re: San Diego to San Francisco
    ... together) in the rented Chevrolet Malibu, and drove to San Diego area. ... Nice park, even if I didn't got used to the constant christmas songs, sounding from every bush that we passed. ... Drove through Sonoma valley to look at the surroundings and stayed in Sonoma to let the kids play for a while in the playground. ... Took the car up to Twin Peaks. ...
    (rec.travel.usa-canada)
  • Re: Rt. 40 from Dinosaur going East toward Rocky Mountain NP and RT. 34 through the park to Loveland
    ... Tom J wrote: ... Pulling a 33 foot fiver.TIA ... road and about halfway through the park. ... I and a friend drove to the top of Pike's Peak on Labor Day of 1953. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)