Re: Holocaust 'Denier' attacks Holocaust Scholar

Pneuma Pelosi wrote:
Author attacked in S.F. hotel

SAN FRANCISCO - In a bizarre attack, a well-known author and
Holocaust was dragged out of a San Francisco hotel elevator by an
apparent Holocaust denier who reportedly had been trailing him for
weeks.

Police escorted Elie Wiesel to San Francisco International Airport on
Feb. 1 after a man accosted Wiesel in the elevator at the Argent
Hotel, at 50 Third St., after Wiesel participated in a panel
discussion at a peace conference and before Wiesel was scheduled to
catch a flight back to New York.

Wiesel, a Holocaust survivor and author of more than 40 books,
including the memoir "Night," about his experiences at Auschwitz, won
the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986. Last fall, the Boston University
professor was suggested as a possible replacement for Israeli
President Moshe Katsav, who faces sexual assault charges.

Police confirmed this week that the attack took place and that
officers escorted Wiesel to the airport following the attack.
According to police, the suspect accosted Wiesel in the hotel
elevator at around 6:30 p.m., saying he wanted to interview him.
Wiesel said he would do the interview in the lobby. That's when the
attacker pulled him out of the elevator, police reported.

In a posting Tuesday on the anti-Zionist Web site ZioPedia, a writer
using the name Eric Hunt takes credit for the attack: "After ensuring
no women would be traumatized by what I had to do (I had been
trailing Wiesel for weeks), I stopped the elevator at the sixth
floor. I pulled Wiesel out of the elevator. I said I wanted to
interview him."

Wiesel grabbed at his chest and yelled for help, according to the
posting. "I told him, 'Why don't you want people to know the truth?'
His expression changed, and he began screaming again. ." the posting
reads.Police reported that the suspect tried to force Wiesel into one
of the rooms, but ran away when Wiesel started yelling.

The online posting states that the writer intended to "bring Wiesel
to my hotel room where he would truthfully answer my questions
regarding the fact that his non-fiction Holocaust memoir, Night, is
almost entirely fictitious." Later in the posting, the Holocaust is
portrayed as a "myth."

Police haven't officially idenitifed a suspect, but a source close to
the investigation said Eric Hunt is the focus of their probe. Wiesel
was in town to speak at the RockRose Institute's World Conference
2007, Facing Violence, which addressed justice, religion and conflict
resolution, according to its press release. The conference included
former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright and Juan Mendez, adviser
to the U.N. secretary-general, in its list of speakers.

Hotel security alerted police following the incident, and officers
from Southern Station arrived at the scene.

amartin@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Examiner

Vile. I hope the hotel cameras caught good images of this deranged maniac
and that the police catch him soon.

--
nimue

"As an unwavering Republican, I have quite naturally burned more books
than I have read." Betty Bowers

.