Re: Report: Body Found During Search for Missing San Francisco Dad in Oregon

JonesieCat wrote:
"earthage" <earthage2002@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

Kris Baker wrote:
<mylifeofcrime@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

MERLIN, Ore. - The body of James Kim, who left his stranded family
in a car in the Oregon wilderness to try to get help, was found
Wednesday, according to FOX affiliate KTVU.

I heard the announcement on the radio while in the car, and
heard the sobs of grown men. So sad.

He may not have made the best decision to go alone for help
(in hindsight), but I think he made the best one he could, based
on the knowledge he had at the time.

Kris

It turned out ok for the Stolpa family when Jim Stolpa left Jennifer
Stolpa and baby son and went for help in the snow in 1993. Jim and
Jennifer did lose all their toes from frostbite but at least they were
alive. They had another child, a daughter, and divorced a few years
ago.

http://www.sierrasun.com/article/20041217/LIFE/112170011/0/FRONTPAGE

I remember this one well. It was just absolutely incredible that they
survived. Sorry to hear about their divorce, after what they went thru
together. Thx for posting this. jc

I forgot that he had walked 50 miles, that's just impossible to
believe. I know they had gone 12 miles up one road together before he
took off by himself. I remember something at the time if they had gone
up another road there were abandoned cabins, that they could have used
as shelter, but it was such an isolated area once they took the one
road and found nothing why would they try another. I also think of the
survivors of the plane crash in the Andies where if they had gone the
other way there was a closed ski resort.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/12/06/MNGQFMQ3J91.DTL

From the San Francisco Chronicle:

The Stolpas -- with their infant son, Clayton -- wandered and sought
shelter in a crude cave before James Stolpa trudged another 50 miles on
his own to find help from a highway worker. Jennifer stayed behind,
cuddling the baby.

"I think their situation is a little different from ours,'' Jennifer
Stolpa said. "Their terrain is more mountainous, and I think they would
probably run into more pitfalls by walking off. We were in the desert,
and it was level.''

It's hard to stay put when you don't think help is coming, she said.

"You want to be proactive,'' she said. "After a few days, you say to
yourself, 'Who's going to come for me?' And you want to go do something
about it. But the best advice is to always stay with the car.

snip

Clayton Stolpa, now a 15-year-old high school student, seems to have
suffered no ill effects, his mother said. "He was too young to remember
anything,'' she said. "The only time he thinks about it is when he sees
something about it on TV.''

The Stolpas moved to the Milwaukee area, and she found work as a
part-time bartender. She and James Stolpa divorced in 1999. He works as
a machine operator and is studying mechanical design courses in a
nearby college.

Like her former husband, Jennifer Stolpa lost all her toes and part of
her feet to frostbite as a result of their ordeal. She has learned to
walk normally, however, and even water-skis.

"The best compliment that people can pay me is when they get mad seeing
me parking in a handicapped spot, and they ask me why I'm parking there
if there's nothing wrong with me,'' she said, laughing. "My calf
muscles are pretty well developed, from all my heel-walking.''

Perhaps surprisingly, she said, she doesn't mind the harsh winters of
Wisconsin. But she fears being alone. And she always carries water and
an extra coat in the trunk of her car.

"Snow doesn't bother me, but desolation does,'' she said. "You can't
believe in this day and age that some places can be so remote, that
there can be nothing there. Whenever I'm traveling and don't see
another house for a while, it bothers me.''

.