Re: Remember the Perry March (Missing Wife) Case?

Carmen wrote:
Yup.
It was the front page item in my local paper (Clarksville, TN, 45
minutes from Nashville). I posted it this morning.

I am overjoyed..that lying fugly smug wife-killer Perry is getting
ratted on by his father!! Wonder how his mexican wife feels now?
She thought he was so wonderful. I do feel sorry for those two
cute kids, they got their looks from dead mom.
Another smug wife killer brought to justice!! - Robbie

DanaPointe wrote:
This case has been featured on 48 Hours a couple of times. March always
denied he did anything to his wife and eventually moved to Mexico
(where his father was living). March was finally charged with killing
his wife, and now, due to a plea, his father will testify against him:

Perry killed her, his dad says

The father of former Nashville lawyer Perry March told authorities
yesterday that his son admitted to killing his wife and that both men
then traveled to Kentucky to dispose of her body.

The dramatic statement came as part of a plea deal by 78-year-old
Arthur March, who faced up to 20 years in prison for his role in a
foiled plot to kill his son's former in-laws.

Instead, Arthur March will serve 18 months in a federal prison in
exchange for his guilty plea to a charge of solicitation to commit
murder. The elder March must also testify against his son.

The father was "relieved" that his own criminal case has been resolved
but hoped that he wouldn't be called upon to help put his son behind
bars, possibly for the rest of his life, said Fletcher Long, Arthur
March's lawyer.

"Maybe he won't have to if his son pleas," he said. "I think my client
very much hopes that (Perry) will go ahead and plea."

Yesterday's revelation could be the beginning of the end for a saga
that began with the disappearance of Janet Levine March more than nine
years ago, in August 1996. Her body has never been found.

Perry March has maintained his innocence, but almost from the outset
police identified him as a suspect.

Arthur March had defended his son and stood by his claims of innocence
until yesterday. As part of the plea deal, Arthur March told
investigators that his son admitted that he beat his wife to death with
a wrench during an argument at the couple's Forest Hills home.

Four to five weeks later, Arthur March said, he drove with his son to
an area near Bowling Green, Ky., to dispose of Janet March's body.
According to the father, they checked into a small motel in the Bowling
Green area.

While Perry March remained at the motel, Arthur March took the body to
some nearby farmland, where he put it in a pile of brush that he
believed was to be burned, his lawyer said.

The lawyer said he did not know where Janet March's body had been from
the time of her death until the trip to Bowling Green.

On Friday, Arthur March was taken by police detectives from the Metro
Jail to Bowling Green in hopes of finding where the body had been
dumped. But March said he was unable to remember the precise location,
the lawyer said.

Arthur March has not been charged in Janet March's killing. Instead, he
has been charged with helping his son in a plot to hire a hit man to
kill Janet March's parents, Lawrence and Carolyn Levine, of Nashville.

According to an October indictment, Perry March approached a fellow
Metro Jail inmate about committing the killings. His father agreed to
pick the would-be assassin up at the airport in Guadalajara, Mexico,
and provide money and housing after the killings were completed.

Lawrence and Carolyn Levine, who have long lobbied for Perry March's
prosecution for the death of their daughter, were not in court
yesterday and would not comment for this report.

After the hearing in federal court yesterday, Arthur March's attorney
said his client was sorry for his role in Janet March's disappearance.

"I think Arthur March is guilty of loving his son," he said.

The elder March is scheduled to be formally sentenced on May 1.

In the meantime, lawyers for Perry March have been unwilling to discuss
publicly what efforts are being made to settle his criminal charges.
The younger March, 45, faces charges of murder, abuse of a corpse,
solicitation to commit first-degree murder, conspiracy to commit
first-degree murder and theft.

U.S. Attorney Jim Vines, whose office handled the case against Arthur
March, said he expected the father's testimony to be key in future
prosecutions of the son.

"It's got to be powerful. You have a father testifying that his son
acknowledged that he killed the daughter-in-law."

But Nashville attorney John Herbison, who is representing Perry March,
suggested that if the case goes to trial, jurors could be told that
Arthur March was pressured to cooperate with authorities in exchange
for leniency.

"Arthur March has a strong incentive to please the prosecutors," he
said.

Herbison noted that Arthur March's statements were not subject to
cross-examination. That would change in any trial.

Herbison was asked if Perry March was upset with his father for
pleading guilty.

"Perry understands the situation," the lawyer said.

Article with pics here:
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060207/NEWS03/602070347

'48 Hours' articles:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/12/08/48hours/main1108883.shtml

  • Remember the Perry March (Missing Wife) Case?
    ... (where his father was living). ... The father of former Nashville lawyer Perry March told authorities ... Arthur March, who faced up to 20 years in prison for his role in a ... The elder March must also testify against his son. ...
    (alt.true-crime)
  • Re: Remember the Perry March (Missing Wife) Case?
    ... (where his father was living). ... The father of former Nashville lawyer Perry March told authorities ... Arthur March, who faced up to 20 years in prison for his role in a ... The elder March must also testify against his son. ...
    (alt.true-crime)
  • Plea Deal with Perry March Scratched At Last Minute
    ... after his son, Perry, at the last second, nixed a deal that would have ... Prosecutors and defense attorneys negotiated for more than a week last ... Arthur March stunned everyone this week in federal court. ... judge his son Perry admitted killing his wife Janet, ...
    (alt.true-crime)
  • Re: As the Hallmark love/hate holiday draws near...
    ... I do not believe that my ex would harm my child if that is what you ... My son loves his father and his father loves him. ... said he wanted 50% time with Arthur. ...
    (soc.singles.moderated)
  • Re: Gateway Find or Failure?
    ... Viscount Irwin was the son of Arthur Ingram 3rd Viscount Irwin and Elizabeth ...
    (soc.genealogy.medieval)