Re: Why are areas in New Orleans called parishes?

"Betsy" <b.fernley@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> "The Shadow Knows..." <i.am.me.as.you.are.he@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
> message news:sd14h154vhiffprhgv5k3necg6eq8eut06@xxxxxxxxxx
> | On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 13:00:24 -0500, "Cliff & Linda Miata"
> | <pego101remove@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> |
> | >Are non christ lovers allowed to live in the parishes?
> |
> | You've never been to New Orleans, have you? Louisiana has kept
> its
> | French heritage, it's the only state whose laws are based on the
> | Napoleonic Code rather than English Common Law. It's purely
> semantic,
> | Parishes are the same as Counties - it's merely Louisiana reflecting
> | its French history, it doesn't have anything to do with religion
> these
> | days.
>
> Mostly true, but not exactly. Any state with community property laws
> reflect French and/or Spanish heritage rather than English Common Law.

And here's a weird fact. Many attorneys from Louisiana are in Iraq now
helping them to get their judicial system up and running. Iraq's laws, like
Louisiana's, are based on the Napoleonic code, which, as The Shadow Knows,
is unique among American states, so only the bayou state's lawyers have the
neccesary expertise.

Bo Raxo

  • Re: Why are areas in New Orleans called parishes?
    ... Louisiana has kept ... | French heritage, it's the only state whose laws are based on the ... | Parishes are the same as Counties - it's merely Louisiana reflecting ... reflect French and/or Spanish heritage rather than English Common Law. ...
    (alt.true-crime)
  • Re: Why are areas in New Orleans called parishes?
    ... >> | French heritage, it's the only state whose laws are based on the ... >> reflect French and/or Spanish heritage rather than English Common Law. ... Many attorneys from Louisiana are in Iraq now ...
    (alt.true-crime)
  • GA
    ... I sold a system in Louisiana where in some Parishes the ... sales tax was paid by the buyer directly to the Parish tax collector. ... I lost the account and GA lost me. ... Louisiana to get one more document. ...
    (comp.databases.pick)
  • Re: Louisiana - What is a Parish?
    ... Another interesting thing about Louisiana is that it is the only state whose ... law is not based on English Common Law but rather on the Napoleonic Code. ... Each church area was a parish, ...
    (soc.senior.issues)
  • Re: OT: Canada Saved American Lives!
    ... The US Supreme Court should direct the State of Louisiana ... to change are of the Titles of each of the so called "Parishes" ... omg - now i feel better ~ RHF ...
    (rec.radio.shortwave)