Re: Breaking News - Jamaica to Boot Betty!
- From: CJ Buyers <susuhanan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 14:13:36 -0800 (PST)
On Jan 10, 5:18 am, Joseph McMillan <mcmillan...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Jan 6, 3:24 pm, Turenne <rick.lich...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
At one time or another, successful or unsuccessful candidates to high
political office in countries where the Queen is Head of State
threaten to become republics. Unsurprisingly, few actually follow
through with their threats. ....
Well, if my count is correct, Elizabeth II is now the head of state of
16 independent countries. By contrast, there are at least 18
independent countries of which she was head of state at her accession
but that have since become republics.
Who are those 18?
At her accession, H.M. was Head of State of
I make that seven.
Plus India, which recognised her as Head of the Commonwealth and
participated in her coronation.
... any of the various
protectorates, trusteeships, mandates, etc, that have become ...
They were part of an empire and therefore did not have heads of state,
anymore than Kansas or Puerto Rico have now.
- Prev by Date: Re: Breaking News - Jamaica to Boot Betty!
- Next by Date: Re: Electress Louise?
- Previous by thread: Re: Breaking News - Jamaica to Boot Betty!
- Next by thread: Re: Breaking News - Jamaica to Boot Betty!