Re: William Noel Hill 3rd Lord Berwick and Hester Stanhope

On 16 June, 14:15, Melanie Sands <Melanie_Sa...@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does anyone know where I could go to find out more about
William Noel-Hill, 3rd Baron Berwick, and his short-term
fiancee Lady Hester Standhope?
I'd like to find out if possible why they broke off their
short-lived engagement and why he never married, and
in general I'd like to find out more about him.
As I live in Switzerland, I can't just pop off to Attwick Hall,
or whatever the place is called...

The first thing is that Lord Berwick lived at Attingham Park which is
near Shrewsbury, Shropshire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attingham_Park

His name technically was Hill, but Noel Hill, 1st Baron Berwick of
Attingham was the son of Susanna Maria Noel who was a collateral of
the Noel Bts (currently Earls of Gainsborough).

William Noel-Hill, 3rd Baron Berwick of Attingham was born on 21
October 1772 and was baptised at Atcham, Shropshire. He was the son of
Noel Hill, 1st Baron Berwick of Attingham and Anna Vernon. He died on
4 August 1842 at age 69 at Redrice, Andover, Hampshire and was buried
on 15 August 1842 at Atcham, Shropshire.

He died intestate and his estate was administered in June 1843.

William Noel-Hill, 3rd Baron Berwick of Attingham was baptised with
the name of William Hill. He was educated in January 1783 at Rugby
School, Rugby, Warwickshire, and graduated from Jesus College,
Cambridge University, Cambridge in 1793 with a Master of Arts (M.A.).
He held the office of Member of Parliament (M.P.) (Tory) for
Shrewsbury between 1796 and 1812. He held the office of Envoy to
Ratisbon between 1805 and 1807, the office of Envoy to Turin between
1807 and 1824 and was Member of Parliament (Tory) for Marlborough
between 1814 and 1818. He was Envoy to Naples between 1824 and 1830
and on 19 March 1824 his name was legally changed to William Noel-
Hill by Royal Licence. He was invested as a Privy Counsellor (P.C.) on
7 April 1824 and succeeded to the title of 3rd Baron Berwick of
Attingham, co. Shropshire [G.B., 1784] on 3 November 1832.

He was a descendant of the 1st Earl of Strafford of the second
creation.

Lady Hester Stanhope was very well known both in her own time, and to
a certain extent now.

She was the eldest daughter of Charles Stanhope, 3rd Earl Stanhope and
Lady Hester Pitt, daughter of William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham and
Hester Grenville, Baroness Chatham. Needless to say, being the grand-
daughter of 'The Great Commoner' did her no harm.

She was descended (amongst others) from the Earl of Haddington, the
Earl of Marchmont, the Earl of Rothes, the Earl of Crawford etc etc.

As far as the reason they broke up was concerned; I would check the
dates. He seems to have been doing a lot of travelling as did she.
Maybe they got together often enough!

Richard Lichten

.