Duke of Bedford's Family Motto

So late last night I was watching on GSN (Game Show Network) the old b&w
"To Tell the Truth" from the 50s.

A celebrity panel questions three people all claiming to be the same
person.

Last night it was three people all claiming to be the Duke of Bedford.

One was asked what the family motto was and he said "QUE SERA SERA".

All had a laugh. I thought that he could not be the real Duke having
given a Spanish motto.

Well it was he!

How did the Bedfords acquire a Spanish motto?

  • Re: Duke of Bedfords Family Motto
    ... Last night it was three people all claiming to be the Duke of Bedford. ... One was asked what the family motto was and he said "QUE SERA SERA". ... How did the Bedfords acquire a Spanish motto? ...
    (alt.talk.royalty)
  • Re: Duke of Bedfords Family Motto
    ... given a Spanish motto. ... his start at court by acting as interpreter for the visit of the ... Archduke Philip to Windsor in 1506. ... And "Que sera, ...
    (alt.talk.royalty)