Re: given names, british royal family (was Re: Prince Harry's children?

On Aug 24, 3:55 pm, "Francois R. Velde"
<ve...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In medio alt.talk.royalty aperuit Hovite <paulvhe...@xxxxxxxxx> os suum:

On Aug 24, 3:24 am, atsarisb...@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Self-confident dynasties risk new names, e.g. George and Frederick
(when the House of Hanover came to England), James and Charles
(Stuarts in England)
James VI, King of Scots, considered James to be an unlucky name and
called his sons Henry Frederick, Charles, and Robert.
George was not a new name in England. Beside the husband of Queen
Anne, Prince George of Denmark, Anne's sons were called William and
George, and the sons of Edward IV were Edward, Richard, and George.

It's actually surprising that the patron saint was not more often a
namesake.

Where the heck did Edgar (1667-71, duke of Cambridge) come from?

Probably to hark a previous Anglo-Scottish alliance.

Edgar Atheling, son of Edward Atheling, and brother of St Margaret,
who married King Malcolm III Caennmor. Malcolm and Margaret's son,
Edgar, succeeded as King of Scots in 1097.

  • Re: Virginia "justice"
    ... of England died with no children, and the hierhood traced its way ... James was King of Scotland before he was King ... Stewart line comes from the Bruces. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: Virginia "justice"
    ... of England died with no children, and the hierhood traced its way ... James was King of Scotland before he was King ... Stewart line comes from the Bruces. ...
    (rec.arts.sf.fandom)
  • Re: Gravity
    ... Conqueror left Normany to one son and England to another (Henry I). ... the sons of Eleanor and Henry were not ... king that the king of England was, ...
    (talk.origins)
  • Re: Are fees for bogus Irish Grants of Arms refundable?
    ... James I and VI was a Scottish ... king who became King of England,not the other way round, and Queen ... Scots' heritage. ... If anything, Scotland annexed England. ...
    (rec.heraldry)
  • Re: Fw: Botelers of Sharnbrooke Bedfordshire
    ... Heinrich I Ther Fowler, Emperor Elect ... Louis II the Stammerer, King of West-France ... Edward I 'the Elder', king of England ... I don't think we have any evidence of which of the four known sons of Richard goes with which wife. ...
    (soc.genealogy.medieval)